Thread: My mouse stopped working

My laptop crashed the other night for some bizarre reason. It took me a while to get it back to normal.

Everythings ok, ut my usb mouse won't work. I have two mice, same brand and series, and neither work, though they work on my mates pc.

There was no software with it, just plug it in and it worked. I'e been through device manager and hardware manager and followed "windows help", but no luck. It says my USB is working properly.

When i plug the mouse in, the loptical light turns on, but doesnt move the cursor. I have no other USB device to test the usb's.

The mouse is a HP.

Any ideas?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Try this, in device manager, uninstall the mouse and reboot(make sure the mouse is plugged in when you do this).

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgy368 View Post
    Try this, in device manager, uninstall the mouse and reboot(make sure the mouse is plugged in when you do this).
    In device manager, i went to "mice and other pointing devices). in there is "Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad". That's the built in mouse in the laptop. This works fine.

There's no other mouse recognised, and in the USB folder, soesnt say one is attached...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    The mouse would show up as a "HID Compliant Pointing Device" in the Mice and other Pointing Devices in Device Manager IF everything was OK...which obviously isn't the case.
    The simplest test would be to plug in any other USB device and see if it is recognized.
    Since you don't have any such device, try this...

In Device Manager, go to USB Controllers and uninstall everything.
    Reboot.
    Windows should start the Newfound Hardware Wizard and reinstall all the USB.
    Retry mouse.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    i did as clocker said also, it reinstalled them all but mouse still not working....