Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: x264 query

hotwebdownload's Avatar The TRADER!!!!!! BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    what's the file size like? We can get Xvid movies for 700 MB. What about X264?

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +5
    You can get x264 files at the same sizes of the xvids. The thing with x264 is that you can get high quality at low bitrates. And obviously the bigger the file, the better it looks. I've seen amazing rips of just 700 mb, but most of them now are 1.4 gb and up.

If you look at all the HD DVDrips coming out, 80% or 90% of them are done with x264. It's the best codec at the moment.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    hotwebdownload's Avatar The TRADER!!!!!! BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    So any info about whether the new stand-alone players will support this format?

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by Melvinmeow View Post
    They acctually play fine on my dvd player. Ive only seen maybe 3 or 4 out of 60 that ive tried not work on my player.
    Are you sure they havent been transcoded to .avi or something?

I wasnt aware that any dvd players had the processing power necessary to use the x264 codec. Even now many people over on x264 have problems playing the codec at 720p or higher due to their computer processors. There was a discussion a month or so back and people seemed pretty adamant that there wouldnt be a capable dvd player for some years...

Oh and heres a side by side comparison of the image quality of the XviD and x264 codecs for those interested: http://www.xile.net/xvid_vs_x264/

@hotwebdownload: x264 movies tend to come in either 700mb or ~1.4gb filesizes, there tends to be a preference to the larger filesize on x264 which ends up near DVDR quality but without the extra 3gb.
    Last edited by Ratzy Rox; 02-20-2007 at 10:35 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratzy Rox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Melvinmeow View Post
    They acctually play fine on my dvd player. Ive only seen maybe 3 or 4 out of 60 that ive tried not work on my player.
    Are you sure they havent been transcoded to .avi or something?

I wasnt aware that any dvd players had the processing power necessary to use the x264 codec. Even now many people over on x264 have problems playing the codec at 720p or higher due to their computer processors. There was a discussion a month or so back and people seemed pretty adamant that there wouldnt be a capable dvd player for some years...
    .avi is just a container, so you can encode stuff using the x264 codec into an avi file. And you can take an x264 in an .mkv file and put it in an .avi easily with something like virtualdub mod. The end result isnt perfect though. But even then i never heard of a dvd player able to play an x264. And in .mkv is even less thinkable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12