Thread: Norton Help

Poster
    I'm using norton internet security 2003, but sometimes it takes 10-20 min to start in the taskbar at startup.

I've also seen the ccapp.exe process(Symantec Common Client) using 99% of my CPU. Do you think it might be a virus?

I tried re-installing but the same thing happens. It worked fine for months as well.

I know its not my system specs:

AMD Athlon xp 2800+
    1024 DDR-400
    180Gb 7200rpm

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    U might have a virus

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    Originally posted by LINDOREZ@25 May 2003 - 08:41
    I'm using norton internet security 2003, but sometimes it takes 10-20 min to start in the taskbar at startup.

I've also seen the ccapp.exe process(Symantec Common Client) using 99% of my CPU. Do you think it might be a virus?

I tried re-installing but the same thing happens. It worked fine for months as well.

I know its not my system specs:

AMD Athlon xp 2800+
    1024 DDR-400
    180Gb 7200rpm

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
    M8 it u hav no luck reinstallin'u could goto msconfig and disable ccapp.exe from startin up and should boot up fiine.
    start>run>msconfig>startup

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    It would be a bit ironic having a virus in my anti-virus software.

yeah i know i can disable it, but then my norton internet security wouldn't work at all.

Everything else boots instantly, its just the internet security that takes time.

So i might as well leave it running and just wait the 10-20 min. It just means i'm without protection for that 10-20 min and who knows what might happen.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    M8 if u disable it norton will work fine!!
    it just stops norton checkin itself on start up

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Hi Lindorez!

Wow, Deja Vu

I actually had this problem similar to yours within the last 5 days.

Norton Antivirus 2003 Professional used to start up on boot fast and along with the other appz usually within 20 seconds after my desktop screen appeared. Then one day, It took noticeably longer to load and has happened since.

I couldn't diagnose it so I decided to re-install Windows as a overall "cure."
    So far, so Great, it's back on track.

I am sure there are many other options but this is the one I took and it works fine now. Just to let you know, when this problem occured, I ran all of my utilities to help me resolve it. (I cleaned out the registry, internet build-up, defragmented, uninstalled-reinstalled, ran full scan anti-virus, spyware full scan, etc)

But if nothing else works, there is always the guarantee of re-installing your entire OS. Sounds dreadful but if it bothered you as much as it did me, I had to take "extreme measures"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Cheers seattlePC, Its nice to know somebody else has had the same problem.

When you mentioned reinstalling windows, I was just thinking, i recently installed windows SP1.

Maybe it had something to do with that?

M8 if u disable it norton will work fine!!
    Yeah i know it may still run, but ccapp.exe checks to make sure everything is running smoothly. If you disable it, it also disables the auto-protect,email scanning and live update, along with many other features.
    Plus it says on Symantec's web page :

Leave well alone – this task is crucial to the proper working of your Norton 2003 security product.
    Thanks anyway though, it was a good idea.