Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Azureus Setup Questions

Chi Pheo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Yes, I would recommend due to the following reason:
    - Not loosing the amount of upload to outside peers.
    - Keep the torrent private from unwanted ppl.
    - Some sites disabled your account if you dont turn this feature off.

PS: Do you still have problem with changing mode ?

" Knowing nothing is the true knowledge. "

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    As helpful as Chi Pheo's instructions are - a lot of stuff that's being described here is over the top and not necessary at all.

First of all - the setting Chi Pheo recommends changing: the settings under Tracker are only used if you are running your own tracker in Azureus. If you're not intending to run your own tracker with Azureus, it doesn't matter what settings you put here.

Quote Originally Posted by grchl3 View Post
    Is this normal for Plugin to be listed as a Peer Source and if not how do I disable it?
    It is normal - it means that plugins are able to be used to retrieve peers. I wouldn't worry about it, since you would know if you were running any plugins which supplied peers in this way.

Also am I worrying too much about shutting off DHT/Distributed Database/Peer Exchange?
    Yes. But there's nothing wrong with asking questions.

I'm concerned about this because I don't want to inadvertently make a private torrent public, but is this even a possibility or will the tracker such as demonoid prevent this from happening regardless of the settings on my bittorrent client.
    Well, Demonoid is a bad example, since they don't have private torrents there - you may need a login to get to the torrents on the site, but it's quite common for the torrents to be published to other torrent sites.

But for those trackers which don't want their torrents to be published via DHT, they will have a 'private' flag set on them that Azureus will listen to.

You don't need to disable DHT - if the tracker says to not use DHT, then it won't.

would you recommend disabling DHT to keep a torrent from a private tracker private or do you consider it unnecessary?
    I'd re-enable it. Most people have it on - it's useful for those torrents which aren't private.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi Pheo View Post
    Not loosing the amount of upload to outside peers.
    That's not accurate. As I've said before, if the torrent is private, it won't try to get peers from other sources. Besides - if a peer (somehow) who does not use the tracker is able to make an incoming connection to you, Azureus will transfer data to them (as will any other BT client).

BT clients don't verify that incoming connections are valid peers from the tracker (Azureus does have some experimental code to do that, but it still needs some testing done).

Keep the torrent private from unwanted ppl.
    If the torrent is private, it won't be published on the DHT.

Some sites disabled your account if you dont turn this feature off.
    This used to be the case a long time ago - that was when DHT was first introduced. Tracker sites complained, and so the next Azureus release was changed to not use the DHT if a torrent had a private flag on it. I don't know of any site that I use which still requests DHT is turned off.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Chi Pheo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Agree, The instruction is abit complex for normal user. I used to be uploader at some sites and saw it my self how the data uploaded went to outside peers and not record correctly in my ratio. Also, someone always can give the torrents to their friends who are not members of the sites (my friend do it sometimes with exclusive files). Disable or Enable DHT is your personal choice and there is nothing need to be discussed.
    Last edited by Chi Pheo; 02-22-2007 at 02:38 PM.

" Knowing nothing is the true knowledge. "

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Thanks so much for all the help guys. I didn't know where else to turn for info and you guys cleared up a lot of this for me. I love this community! Chi Pheo, thanks for patiently walking me through my endless array of questions. dollyoops, thanks for the detailed answer. Chi Pheo, I know you said that you had something different listed than what I see on my client - "Peer Sources: Tracker,Plugin". dollyoops, are you seeing the same Peer Sources line or something else. I tried looking at some other private trackers after reading what you said about demonoid. For all the other private trackers I've checked like oink I get "Peer Sources: Tracker,Plugin". For indietorrents I get "Tracker,PeerExchange,Plugin" Is this the same stuff you guys are getting?

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    I used to be uploader at some sites and saw it my self how the data uploaded went to outside peers and not record correctly in my ratio.
    But if I remember correctly, when your BT client contacts the tracker, it only submits the amount you've uploaded / downloaded, it doesn't specify how many bytes you have sent to each peer. So I'm not sure that's related.

Also, someone always can give the torrents to their friends who are not members of the sites (my friend do it sometimes with exclusive files).
    But if they do that, then the tracker will usually match the torrent using a passkey - so the user still counts as a valid user. Alternatively, the other user would have to login to get the tracker to associate the account with their IP.

Disable or Enable DHT is your personal choice and there is nothing need to be discussed.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by grchl3 View Post
    For all the other private trackers I've checked like oink I get "Peer Sources: Tracker,Plugin".
    I get that for Oink.

For indietorrents I get "Tracker,PeerExchange,Plugin" Is this the same stuff you guys are getting?
    I lost my Indietorrents account a long time ago (didn't visit it often enough)...

But it's possible that torrents from IndieTorrents don't have the private flag on them - so that would make sense. Other torrents I have which aren't private have: "Tracker,DHT,PeerExchange,Plugin".

So if IndieTorrents doesn't have the private flag set on torrents, and you've not got DHT enabled, then that is what I would expect.

You might want to have a look at this page too:
    http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Secure_Torrents

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    micky3840's Avatar LOVE TORRENT FILES BT Rep: +5
    azureus is good but i find that u torrent is better it is less buggy

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by micky3840 View Post
    azureus is good but i find that u torrent is better it is less buggy
    There are plenty of uTorrent vs Azureus threads here already - this doesn't need to be another one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12