Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Azureus Setup Questions

Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm thinking of switching to Azureus and I'd really appreciate your help in setting it up. How do I completely shut off DHT, the Distributed Database, and Peer Exchange? Do I go to Tools -> Options -> Plugins -> and uncheck the checkboxes next to Distributed DB & Distributed Tracker that says load at startup? Any other settings to change with regards to DHT, the Distributed Database, & Peer Exchange? Also how about all the other plugins that are checked and set to load at starup. Is it ok to turn some or all of these as well?

The reason I want to turn off DHT, the Distributed Database, & Peer Exchange is that I don't want to announce the torrents publicly from private trackers. According to the Azureus wiki thats not a concern because it states that DHT is only a fall-back mechanism. Is this true? Also are the torrents from private trackers already setup to prevent the use of DHT with them even if the bittorrent client has DHT turned on?

Sorry for the deluge of questions but you'd really be clearing up a lot of this for me.

Thanks in advance for your help

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Chi Pheo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Try this:

Go to Connection, Enable Public IP Network (not anonymous) and From a tracker. (uncheck the rest)

Go to "Plugins\Tracker\Web and disable it

Go to "Plugins\Distributed DB" and disable it

Go to "Plugins\Distributed Tracker and disable it

Go to "Plugins\JPC" and disable it

Go to "Tracker Client" and "Enable key passing to tracker for enhanced security"

Next go to "Tracker\Server" and disable all.

Last step go to "Sharing" and ENABLE "Private torrent - only accept peers from the tracker"
    and Uncheck "Add hashes for other networks"

Final restart Azureus client, DHT should be disable completely.
    Last edited by Chi Pheo; 02-21-2007 at 07:03 PM.

" Knowing nothing is the true knowledge. "

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by grchl3 View Post
    Also how about all the other plugins that are checked and set to load at starup. Is it ok to turn some or all of these as well?
    Any particular plugins that we are talking about?

According to the Azureus wiki thats not a concern because it states that DHT is only a fall-back mechanism. Is this true?
    Correct.

I'm not sure whether you want to disable Peer Exchange (not sure how you do that anyway) - if every peer's BT client is behaving properly, then none of them would even get exchange any peers from outside of the tracker.

Also are the torrents from private trackers already setup to prevent the use of DHT with them even if the bittorrent client has DHT turned on?
    Yes. If a torrent has the private flag marked on it (and most private tracker sites do), then it won't use the DHT for it.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Thanks very much for the help guys and the breakdown of the steps to take was very cool Chi Pheo

I tried downloading a torrent from demonoid to see how Azureus would work when downloading a torrent from a private tracker and when I get details for the torrent the following is listed under the Info tab:
    Peer Sources: Tracker,Plugin

Is this normal for Plugin to be listed as a Peer Source and if not how do I disable it? Which plugin is this referring to anyway? I don't have any extra plugins installed, just the 20 that ship by default with Azureus. Are you guys seeing the same thing "Peer Sources: Tracker,Plugin" or is it something more like "Peer Sources: Tracker"

Also am I worrying too much about shutting off DHT/Distributed Database/Peer Exchange? I'm concerned about this because I don't want to inadvertently make a private torrent public, but is this even a possibility or will the tracker such as demonoid prevent this from happening regardless of the settings on my bittorrent client.
    Last edited by grchl3; 02-22-2007 at 04:08 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    In my client, there is nothing under Peer Sources. Did you see DHT disabled on the bottom panel ? As long as you can see DHT Disabled, you are fine.
    I will look into the Peer Sources stuff and be back.
    Last edited by Chi Pheo; 02-22-2007 at 04:34 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Thanks again for the help Chi Pheo. I really appreciate it.

Yes, I can see DHT Disabled on the bottom panel.

I double clicked the torrent file in the main window of Azureus and then I clicked on the Info tab. That's where I saw "Peer Sources: Tracker,Plugin". It was on the right hand side of the screen about 4 lines under the Pieces progress bar.

I followed almost all the steps you mentioned. The 3 steps I could not find were:

Go to "Plugins\JPC" and disable it
    Go to "Tracker Client" and "Enable key passing to tracker for enhanced security"
    Next go to "Tracker\Server" and disable all.

I'm guessing this is because I chose beginner mode when setting up Azureus for the first time and I need to be in Intermediate mode or higher. Now I can't seem to find the setting to get out of beginner mode. Could you tell me where to look for this?
    Last edited by grchl3; 02-22-2007 at 04:54 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    tools > options > mode, set to advanced
    tools > options > connection, peer sources, only check 'from a tracker'

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Go to "Plugins\JPC" is not available in version 2.5.0.0 or higher.

Tracker/Client and Server can be found under Tracker on the left panel. (disabled all under Tracker external IP address)

Change mode can be found at Mode , right above IP filter.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Thanks again for the help guys.

Doh, I completely missed the Mode setting.

So I guess I'm ok now that the bottom panel says DHT disabled. Chi Pheo, in general would you recommend disabling DHT to keep a torrent from a private tracker private or do you consider it unnecessary?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast