Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drinking & Driving

Let's start this off....with me saying that I've had to learn the hard way. It hasn't been the first accident I have had...but it's the first that involves alcohol. I am very fortunate....

I had a few drinks & shots...and decided to leave the party...as it was slowly dying down. Because I had been drinking, I decided to take a back road (to avoid the cops). The road I decided to take, I had driven numerous times(and knew what to expect).... To give you an idea of how much this was a "back road"...it had been a park reserve road that had been paved years ago. Very narrow, very windy, and very unsafe to be driving at night, especially having alcohol in my blood. The kicker, I had been in the clear...meaning, successfully drove to a major road; when I realized that I had forgotten my jacket. Debating whether or not to turn around, I decided it was worth the extra few minutes, rather driving the next day to pick it up. The scenario:

Along the road, there was an tight "S" turn, and between the curves in the "S" were nicely placed walls. To my right was a 12' inbankment, and to the left was a nice 12' drop into the creek. I had been driving about 25-35 mph when I saw the wall rapidly aproaching; reacting with fast reflexes, I managed to break and avoid the first wall. Because of my acceleration, I was unable to maintain control of the car, and properly make the next turn. I braked, the tires locked, and I slid just about full speed into the second wall (it was raining and the road was slick & covered with leaves). It happened so fast, that I didn't even think to inspect the damage, but instead get out and run about 2 miles barefoot(had muddy feet from the party, no shoes were allowed inside the house, and when going outside, I had stepped in mud). When I reached the house, I immediately called my folks, to have them advise me one what to do. Being that my mom worked in the insurance business, she advised, that I leave the car and have it towed the next morning; being that it was on a back road and rarely driven on. I then had my parents come and pick me up and drive me home.

Today: The car was towed to my house and I could inspect the damage. Like I said earlier, I am very fortunate to be alive. My knees when through(that's right through), the console on both sides of the steering wheel. My head shattered the windshield (its only shattered right above the steering wheel). The front end is pushed 1-2 feet inwards, the doors are now angled out and upward.

I have spoke with my friends today, to find that 6 people they know, have either been killed or paralized from those walls. Me? Not a scratch. No concussion, no nothing. Perfect health. I lived another day, and I wasn't even wearing a seat belt.

From this day forward, I am going to change...I practice martial arts rigorously, and read books upon books about the philosophy of life, and knowledge of self control (Chi & Jing). Yet, I am eager to share this knowledge with others, but lack the responsibility to apply this knowledge to my own life. I am a fool. From this day forward, I am done with my chilish ways, I am facing forward and letting no obsticales stand in my way. Drinking? No, it does nothing for you, and I get high on life without it. Life is too precious and you live but once in this time on earth. I can't say it enough, desicions are simple, it's only a matter of making the right one. I chose wrong. For those of you who are of age, or aren't...I hope that what you've read may give you just a little thought. Don't place your life in the wrong. In a matter of minutes, your life can turn around and set you back.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Poster
    Take a look at THIS web page, I was nearly in tears when I read it

EDIT: That link contains pictures which might upset some people.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by Curley@25 May 2003 - 20:06
    Take a look at THIS web page, I was nearly in tears when I read it
    Being a guy i shouldn't admit it, but that web page was really touching.

I'll NEVER drink and drive!

4. Lounge   -   #4
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    That really shocked me when I saw that picture of her after the crash for the first time

Such a pretty woman reduced to that, no fingers, face unrecognisable

5. Lounge   -   #5
    OMG! omg. omg. wow.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    Curley where did you find that web page anyway?

If you take off the /Saburido.htm, you can look at the other stuff and its even worse(i know its not really relevant to this topic, but i thought id mention it)

Its like a german version of rotten.com :x

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Poster
    It was posted in another message board i'm a member of. I've not checked out any others, but then again I think i'll give it a miss!

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Curley, where were you with that link 9 years ago????

I learned the hard way, but not as hard as it might have been. No-one died or was injured, except for myself.

Years on, I'll not even have a shandy if I'm driving. It could have been so much worse.

I'm much older and wiser now and I can say honestly, Don't do it! It's easy to be pressured into it by drunken friends who'd rather you drove than they walk home, but SAY NO!!

I don't take my car out at all, that way there can be no more arguments at closing time!

9. Lounge   -   #9
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    I hope thats a lesson everyone takes on board.

A friend of mine goes out on a weekend and gets so pissed he often doesn't remember the journey home in his own car. He's not bothered, and has the attitude that he's never had an accident, so he's OK.

Please people, it's stupid. Have a drink and get a taxi, or sleep on someone's floor. Whatever, just dont drink and drive.
    <insert signature here>

10. Lounge   -   #10
    vivitron. It&#39;s hard but as a convicted Drink-driver (now reformed, yes reform can happen&#33 I&#39;d say shop your mate now. Beforew he kills someone else, or himself.

It may not seem that way, but if you are a true friend, it is a favour you would be doing him, if he doesn&#39;t listen to your request to leave the car at home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast