Thread: How to Identify Fake Torrents Uploaded by Anti-Piracy Organizations

DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55

This is useful to know:

full blog at

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...organizations/

Did you know that MPAA and RIAA are always setting traps for pirates to get caught of downloading copyright materials? I didn't know that until I read one article from TorrentFreak. The anti-piracy organizations can easily trace you when they upload a very popular .torrent file to some popular torrent tracker site. When you download the .torrent file and load it, your bittorrent client will start connecting to the anti-piracy organizations trackers. That's when they record your IP address and can possible get in touch with you for downloading copyrighted materials!

This is a very scary trap because I know a lot of people who knows how to download from bittorrent but don't know anything about peer, leecher, tracker and etc... In short, they don't know how bittorrent works but they know that by waiting for days, the download will complete and they get what they want.

Here's how you can know if the Torrent or Tracker is fake.

Fenopy has created a Fake Finder page that lists the most popular fake torrents and the latest fake trackers. It also allows you to search for fake torrents by keyword or infohash.

I took a look at the whole list of all fake torrents and the filename looks pretty real. There's no way you can know whether the torrent is fake or not unless it's listed on Fenopy Fake Finder list.

If you're using uTorrent, here's how to check which tracker are you connecting to.

After loading torrent file to your bittorrent client, look at the "General" tab and you'll see "Tracker URL". If the tracker URL is listed on Fenopy Fake Finder, please, don't even start downloading it!

Here's the checker link
    http://fenopy.com/fakefinder/fake.php?cmd=torrent

Here's an example but it lists mostly music, films and TV series:

Microsoft.Office.2007.Enterprise-WiNK --- 722c002a1785d0d5c7c18c7fcdbbd30df38d4232
    Last edited by Niteghost; 02-26-2007 at 07:00 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Backslash's Avatar you're dead BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    does this really apply to small private trackers?

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    kavalchuk17's Avatar Something RETIRED BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by Niteghost View Post

Microsoft.Office.2007.Enterprise-WiNK --- 722c002a1785d0d5c7c18c7fcdbbd30df38d4232
    How is that an example?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    Quote Originally Posted by kavalchuk17 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Niteghost View Post

How is that an example?

Have to go to that Blog, I just "Copy nd Paste", where I found this article, sorry.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    kavalchuk17's Avatar Something RETIRED BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    I did, i cant find that anywhere in it...

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by kavalchuk17 View Post
    I did, i cant find that anywhere in it...
    I modified the Post a little , what about this Link

http://fenopy.com/fakefinder/fake.php?cmd=torrent

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    janine's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +1
    this can only be an issue on open trackers. on a private tracker you only have the private tracker itself listed in the torrent.

i always find it interesting to see what measures are being taken by the rabid copyright mongers. in this case, obviously, some person or company are fooling them into paying, probably huge amounts, for this "amazing pirate catching method".

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    upGrayde's Avatar Tax Evader BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    doubt any of this applies to private trackers, but you never know, you might have some riaa/fbi spies registering accounts on the big trackers and planting their seeds so to speak
    Alright.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    How often does the list get updated?