Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The last resting place of Jesus and Mary

Surprised/Amazed

So, they found the bones of Jesus, Mary Magdelene and their son Judah.

What a blow to christianity! I guess he didn't die on the cross then.

Oh well, the empty churches will help the housing shortages, and the paedophile priests will lose their captive audience.

Is this really the last resting place of Jesus, Mary Magdalene - and their son?

If it really were the most important archaeological discovery in history, the point of truth came with very little song or dance. There was no drum roll or fanfare, just the sweeping aside of black felt drapes to reveal a pair of simple stone boxes sitting side by side.

But for the panel of film-makers, theologians and statisticians at New York's public library yesterday, this really was the moment. As James Cameron, the director of the film Titanic who has lent his name to the project, said: "It doesn't get bigger than this".

The claim that was being presented to the world's media and which will be aired on the Discovery Channel on Sunday was that the two boxes once contained the bones of Jesus of Nazareth and his wife Mary Magdalene. Another box, not present at yesterday's event but coincidentally on display in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, contained, so the theory goes, the bones of their son, Judah.

The boxes, which housed human bones and are known as ossuaries, are made out of Jerusalem limestone with its distinctive colour of clotted cream. The smaller of the two bears the inscription Jesus, son of Joseph, while the larger and more lavishly decorated is marked in the name of Mariamene e Mara. According to the Canadian documentary-maker, Simcha Jacobovici, the inscription translates as Mary Magdalene the Master. It is his contention that he and his team of advisers have conclusively found the tomb of Jesus and his family.

Source.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    The one thought that was going through my head while reading this was coincidently summed up in the final two paragraphs:

"We know that Joseph, Jesus and Mariamene were all among the most common names of the period. To start with all these names being together in a single tomb and leap from there to say this is the tomb of Jesus is a little far-fetched, to put it politely," said David Mevorah, a curator of the Israel museum in Jerusalem.

Professor Kloner told the Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper that the name Jesus had been found 71 times in burial caves at around that time.
    I don't believe in any religion anyways, so not at all biased here.

I don't think this will change anything though - People have their faith, and typically it makes them a better person, and that will always be.

Should be an interesting watch on Discovery, though this Sunday.

yo

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    Particularly poor attempt at trolling there, the last remains of Joseph, Mary and Jesus have been found on several occassions now. About twenty if memory serves. We also have a good handful of confirmed grails from the last supper and enough fragments of the true cross to make a decent sized ark.

"Oh well, the empty churches will help the housing shortages, and the paedophile priests will lose their captive audience", go back to anti-semitism. At least you've been practicing that.

Can someone tell me why he is allowed to continually make comments like that. Maybe the mod who replied to it would like to comment.
    You do not need to see my I.D.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    This tomb was found over 10 years ago and is not exactly "news". I will watch the programme with interest - although I think I will keep a jaundiced eye on all the hype. It is very easy for good archaeology to get swamped with Da Vinci Code type nonsense.

The commonness of the names of the period makes a point in itself regarding the difficulty of verifying certain religious texts or indeed the editing process that eventually discounted most of the popular Christian texts from AD100 to AD300.

Organised religion has its own momentum and to be honest is barely affected by academic discussions regarding tombs, dates and texts.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Monk View Post
    Can someone tell me why he is allowed to continually make comments like that. Maybe the mod who replied to it would like to comment.
    What are you after JP, the exclusive right to attack people on here? I've had years of shit from you, if you can't take it, stop dishing it out, because I'm not gonna sit back and take your shit.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    What are you after JP, the exclusive right to attack people on here? I've had years of shit from you, if you can't take it, stop dishing it out, because I'm not gonna sit back and take your shit.
    Arguing, even heatedly is entirely different from what you do to other people. It's what you got banned for if memory serves. Know why, because you're the only person here who really does it. Other may fight and argue, even swear at each other, get warned for it. You however, you're different.

It's mantra time again, all the posts are there for people to read. You suggesting that I attack you in the same way as you attack others, their religion or beliefs, well let's let the readers decide for themselves shall we.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Arguing, even heatedly is entirely different from what you do to other people.
    Argue? You don't argue, you attack, accuse, dig, poke, insult ... anything to have a go, and now you're whingeing like a little girl because you don't like your own medicine.

I seem to remember you getting a fair number of warnings and bans over the years, Mr Perfect ... grow up?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Arguing, even heatedly is entirely different from what you do to other people.
    Argue? You don't argue, you attack, accuse, dig, poke, insult ... anything to have a go, and now you're whingeing like a little girl because you don't like your own medicine.

I seem to remember you getting a fair number of warnings and bans over the years, Mr Perfect ... grow up?
    banning him from your own forum doesn't count

however i have also been victim to being called racist because i have the upper hand in other threads

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Two I think, maybe a bit more. My best was for asking a mod if he had an unfeasibly small penis. A phrase I and others had used on a number of occassions.

There were others for sig being too big and stuff like that, however we're not really talking about that.

Never banned for the way I treat other people tho'.

What's it like the rest of the World being out of step with you. You'd think they would put more of an effort into getting in line.

Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins View Post

banning him from your own forum doesn't count
    Never happened mate, still a member there, assuming you're talking about The Club which I believe he no longer runs. I haven't been a member of any other forum he runs.

As far as I know.

Automerged posts, what the feck is that.
    Last edited by Chip Monk; 02-27-2007 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes

The subject matter of this thread is purely incidental then?

Ad Hominems are entertaining though
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast