Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hard drive question

I'm thinking of buying a second internal to seed off of, being as all my current torrent info is on my main HD. Any thoughts/suggestions/alternatives to this? Also, how would seeding off of an external vs. this method compare?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanedorm View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a second internal to seed off of, being as all my current torrent info is on my main HD. Any thoughts/suggestions/alternatives to this? Also, how would seeding off of an external vs. this method compare?

You can simply copy and paste any info from drive1 to drive2 if needed. So that shouldnt really be an issue. Personally your better off filling the internal hd bays first before going to USB/ext. methods. Due to the fact mainly that the ext cost a bit more and arent really needed if you have free internal slots open still.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Awesome, thanks for the quick response. Hm. How would I know which type of internal HD to buy? and how would I know if I have the right cables for it and such? Basically, what things should I do before to make sure what I buy will be 100% installable and runnable when I get home. I know thats a lot of info to give, but, would be much appreciated =P

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    If you look at the way the master hd is installed. Youll generally see a 2nd set of cables that look exactly like that. (Split off the main hd.) Thats for the expansion drive. You would plug those Extra cords into the new hd the same way they are plugged into the master. As far as what kind of HD to buy... any hd should do as long as its for a pc. They are generally all the same except the buffer speeds and the sizes ect...
    You may have to go to the bios and tell it there is an extra drive as well as possibly have to format the new drive as well.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    k, so it wouldn't matter if I bought an EIDE or whatever the different ones are? Would it affect my power supply?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    You have to make sure it can be powered yes lmao
    But youll find most hds you can buy should all work for pc use anyways.
    Server HD may be a bit differant but they generally stay the same for all computers.
    (Never played with apple or macs before but I beleive even those stick to the same formats so to speak as windows based computers)

7. BitTorrent   -   #7

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    badnizzle's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    i dont think u should have any problems with it either...
    because at my work we also use like 40 - 100 usb hd...on network...and then swap out the whole usb hd to internal network drive...

it never have slow down no speed...so u should be ok.

it's worth a shot Good luck!

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    General2k's Avatar Death's End BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    That is what I have done.
    I have a 250gb SATA as my master and a 160gb ATA as my slave.
    The Slave is only to store stuff I have downloaded and seed back.
    Although lately I have been finding that the slave is not quite enough space and have had to move some stuff to the master to seed.
    Gee, Brain what do you want to do tonight?
    The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by General2k View Post
    That is what I have done.
    I have a 250gb SATA as my master and a 160gb ATA as my slave.
    The Slave is only to store stuff I have downloaded and seed back.
    Although lately I have been finding that the slave is not quite enough space and have had to move some stuff to the master to seed.
    Welcome to the club... I can never seem to get enough hd space for all the files I want.
    Then again I dont like deleting anything off my hds. I think the last time I really had to delete more than 20gigs off my hds at a time was back before last June I find it easeir just buying more and more hds every month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast