Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Poll: How Much Upload Bandwidth Do U Allow Ppl

Knowledge is Power
    Originally posted by Switeck@27 May 2003 - 22:23
    That fast 1 is almost always a leech!
    Do a filesearch on the next one you see and abort them if they're not sharing and see if the others speed up.
    You may have to abort the fast one, CLEAR the finished/aborted uploads quickly, then lower upload slots by 1 -- to kill the reconnecting leech.
    Not true... what if the user has the security patch?

So if I'm downloading pretty fast for you and I have the security patch and you can't see my files even though I'm sharing you're going to cut me off?

Doesn't sound right... it's not my fault that my downloads go so fast

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by Nimdock+30 May 2003 - 00:26--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nimdock @ 30 May 2003 - 00:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Switeck@27 May 2003 - 22:23
    That fast 1 is almost always a leech&#33;

So if I&#39;m downloading pretty fast for you and I have the security patch and you can&#39;t see my files even though I&#39;m sharing you&#39;re going to cut me off?

Doesn&#39;t sound right... it&#39;s not my fault that my downloads go so fast [/b][/quote]Yes, I may cut you off too because that&#39;s not fair to everyone else either.

If you&#39;ve downloaded more than EVERYONE else combined and I don&#39;t get a reply back from you in 5-10 minutes AND your PL is less than around 25, EXPECT to be cut off&#33; I might even cut you off if it was higher, but only after checking for shared files a few times because Kazaa can really screw up sometimes. BUT, usually the failed to detect shared files occurs because of an overloaded connection on my end or the other end.

If my end isn&#39;t overloaded and the other end is able to not only download very quickly off me but to &#39;out-download&#39; all my other uploads combined...
    IT IS ALMOST ALWAYS A LEECH.

This is after I run some searches/ip+ISP discovery on the other uploads to see if they&#39;re on dial-up connections or not. If I turn up that some/most are on cable or DSL, I&#39;ve nearly ruled out that they CAN&#39;T ever download faster. Usually when this 1-person-gets-all-upload-bandwidth, the others are going at <1 KB/sec each. I think it&#39;s caused by a quirk in Kazaa&#39;s behavior BUT if it&#39;s a cheat, it&#39;s a danged good one...

I&#39;ll also track down the (probable leech&#39;s) ip&#39;s probable ISP to see if it&#39;s one of the many that don&#39;t allow sharing on Kazaa (such as shawcable, most universities, business and government net blocks, etc...)

I&#39;m more willing to wait longer if your PL is 100-1,000 (although I often assume someone&#39;s cheating if it&#39;s 1,000 or more) -- but even still I try to open up more uploads to just water down your speeds.

On the other hand, I ALSO let leeches download off me at whatever speed they can manage often for hours on end just so I&#39;m not wasting my upload bandwidth.
    I figure the leech isn&#39;t doing as much harm getting bandwidth that would otherwise go to waste because I have no other uploads even though I have open upload slots. If they&#39;re downloading from me, they&#39;re possibly not competing directly with me for someone else&#39;s bandwidth. I&#39;m tying up their download bandwidth AND download slots.
    (But I&#39;ll still message them more often than not...)

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    I think you&#39;ve put far to much energy and thought into this.

4. File Sharing   -   #24

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by Switeck+30 May 2003 - 08:06--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 30 May 2003 - 08:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Nimdock@30 May 2003 - 00:26
    <!--QuoteBegin--Switeck
    @27 May 2003 - 22:23
    That fast 1 is almost always a leech&#33;

So if I&#39;m downloading pretty fast for you and I have the security patch and you can&#39;t see my files even though I&#39;m sharing you&#39;re going to cut me off?

Doesn&#39;t sound right... it&#39;s not my fault that my downloads go so fast
    Yes, I may cut you off too because that&#39;s not fair to everyone else either.

If you&#39;ve downloaded more than EVERYONE else combined and I don&#39;t get a reply back from you in 5-10 minutes AND your PL is less than around 25, EXPECT to be cut off&#33; I might even cut you off if it was higher, but only after checking for shared files a few times because Kazaa can really screw up sometimes. BUT, usually the failed to detect shared files occurs because of an overloaded connection on my end or the other end.

If my end isn&#39;t overloaded and the other end is able to not only download very quickly off me but to &#39;out-download&#39; all my other uploads combined...
    IT IS ALMOST ALWAYS A LEECH.

This is after I run some searches/ip+ISP discovery on the other uploads to see if they&#39;re on dial-up connections or not. If I turn up that some/most are on cable or DSL, I&#39;ve nearly ruled out that they CAN&#39;T ever download faster. Usually when this 1-person-gets-all-upload-bandwidth, the others are going at <1 KB/sec each. I think it&#39;s caused by a quirk in Kazaa&#39;s behavior BUT if it&#39;s a cheat, it&#39;s a danged good one...

I&#39;ll also track down the (probable leech&#39;s) ip&#39;s probable ISP to see if it&#39;s one of the many that don&#39;t allow sharing on Kazaa (such as shawcable, most universities, business and government net blocks, etc...)

I&#39;m more willing to wait longer if your PL is 100-1,000 (although I often assume someone&#39;s cheating if it&#39;s 1,000 or more) -- but even still I try to open up more uploads to just water down your speeds.

On the other hand, I ALSO let leeches download off me at whatever speed they can manage often for hours on end just so I&#39;m not wasting my upload bandwidth.
    I figure the leech isn&#39;t doing as much harm getting bandwidth that would otherwise go to waste because I have no other uploads even though I have open upload slots. If they&#39;re downloading from me, they&#39;re possibly not competing directly with me for someone else&#39;s bandwidth. I&#39;m tying up their download bandwidth AND download slots.
    (But I&#39;ll still message them more often than not...) [/b][/quote]
    Dude, u can&#39;t really "cut off" because if the receiver has speed up or kazaasearch loaded it will keep dl&#39;ding off of u, unless u have absolutely no life and sit in front of your computer all day and clicking "cancel upload". Or even more pathetic.....check the "Disable sharing of file with other users" options.

and to some other dude that pointed out that my 6GB download 1GB upload sucks....well my isp dont really enforce it, if my upload go beyond 1GB they just phone u and bitch about it but so far i haven&#39;t heard them bitchin...

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I allow 10 upload slots and unlimited bandwidth. I dont now why some people insist on being stingy with upload speed. For the most part people dont even use their upload speed unless they are using kazaa or some kind of web or ftp site where they allow others to download from them. Thas why your isp gives you less upload than download speed. My box stays on 24 hours a day constantly downloading movies, primarily not because of my download speeds but because people dont allow an adeqaute amount of upload speed or dont have it. But if you have it and dont use it then your not playing fair, because its just sitting there. And the best thing you can do if you dont want to devote all your upload speed to kazaa is to at least check the box "optimal bandwidth when your computer is idle" option. No sense hogging that upload speed if your not even using your computer.

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    Setting "Unlimited" causes send errors and resends, read this post in full. Likewise setting too many ul slots causes shitty speeds, again read through this post, it may help for you to understand. Also setting the "Idle" control to my understanding opens more upload slots causing all your ul to be runnining 0.05kb/s, who needs that. In theory, ul within your limit, since you cannot send more than that, and ul will be more effective and productive.

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Bite me spongebob&#33;

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Lick one of my HOLES ya ignant penguin.

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    Poster
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+30 May 2003 - 14:19--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez @ 30 May 2003 - 14:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Switeck@30 May 2003 - 08:06
    <!--QuoteBegin--Nimdock
    @30 May 2003 - 00:26
    Doesn&#39;t sound right... it&#39;s not my fault that my downloads go so fast&nbsp; &nbsp;
    Yes, I may cut you off too because that&#39;s not fair to everyone else either.
    Dude, u can&#39;t really "cut off" because if the receiver has speed up or kazaasearch loaded it will keep dl&#39;ding off of u, unless u have absolutely no life and sit in front of your computer all day and clicking "cancel upload". Or even more pathetic.....check the "Disable sharing of file with other users" options.

and to some other dude that pointed out that my 6GB download 1GB upload sucks....well my isp dont really enforce it, if my upload go beyond 1GB they just phone u and bitch about it but so far i haven&#39;t heard them bitchin... [/b][/quote]
    I was the &#39;some other dude&#39; too. Good thing your ISP isn&#39;t enforcing it -- if they did, they wouldn&#39;t be a 24/7 broadband service because even 128k &#39;broadband-lite&#39; can download and upload 1 GB a day.

When I cancel an upload, I clear the finished/failed list. The cancelled upload usually restarts, but sometimes doesn&#39;t if others are waiting in line. If it restarts, I lower max uploads by 1 which auto-kills the last upload to start and also usually forces them to the bottom of the queue. Sometimes they lose connection completely.

If that doesn&#39;t work, an ip ban is typically good for awhile. By the time they change ips, they (or I) have changed supernodes -- making me very difficult to find again due to me being behind a router. I remove the ip ban about 1 hour to 1 day later to prevent single ip blocks from piling up and possibly blocking a legitimate user.

Since I often go hours without checking my uploads (it&#39;s running on another computer), leeches can still get a large chunk of my upload bandwidth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast