Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Want To Build A Amd/intel Machine?

I am on the verge of deciding to either build a new computer or buy one and save money.

However, I think the only way to save money building my own machine would be to build AMD.

But I was thinking: maybe I will put 2 chips on the motherboard: 1 AMD and 1 Intel.

Does anybody know whether or not I could find a motherboard where I could put an AMD and an Intel chip on the same motherboard and not run into problems?

I think it might not work because of bus conflicts, etc.

I am a newbie, so please understand my ignorance.

Thanks a lot B)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    u can only have one chip on the board, unless it is a dual cpu. then u can onyl have 2 of the same type, eg amd or intel.

personally i would go for an amd system, where bout u from. i would recomend doing it urself with some help from a mate that has done it b4

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I reccommend building an AMD system.. you can get a 2.0ghz 2400 amd chip for only $100 on the internet (originally cost $200-$300) goto www.pricewatch.com

Then get a good motherboard. I bought a Gigabyte brand mobo that supported 2.0ghz+ althon xp cpus, 3 ram slots, 366mhz bus, etc for only $70.

Get some DDR ram, You can get 512mb ones for like $20 each I think.

now you need your other parts... i.e moniter, cdrom, floppy, etc.

When your done.. the computer will probably cost less than $400-500, then later plus the moniter cost.

With the internet, you can get brand new parts for really low prices..

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    here's the AMD 2400 2.0ghz althon xp CPU list of online stores which sell it for $80+whatever tax= around $90-100.

http://www.pricewatch.com/1/3/4928-1.htm

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    also check out the 2 pinned topics, to give u the best places to buy parts, and also some info on how to build a computer

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    The best place to gets parts in at www.newegg.com. They have the cheapest and fastest shipping and good quality.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by dave computer@26 May 2003 - 19:39
    The best place to gets parts in at www.newegg.com. They have the cheapest and fastest shipping and good quality.
    not if he dont live in the us it aint

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I've only heard of AMD dual processor mobos. It is a unique processor. It is denoted by the "MP" in the model#(e.g. AMD Athlon MP 2000+). Not many mobo mfg make a dual processor board. Only Windows XP Pro supports dual processors and very few software titles utilize them as well.

It's inane to even consider. Beyond even what a power user would ever need. Stick with a single processor.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Thanks for all the help!

I know for a fact that Windows XP Professional supports dual processors:

"Supporting Dual Processors
    Another reason to choose Windows XP Professional is if yours is a dual–processor system. Some high–end computers, graphics workstations, and supercharged machines built by gaming or computing enthusiasts have two processors on the motherboard. How can you tell if your computer has two processors? You can be fairly certain that if you aren’t sure, then your computer is a single–processor machine. For dual–processor computers, you’ll need to purchase Windows XP Professional instead of Home Edition to enable the second processor to work."

Source:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertz.../november26.asp

The idea behind building an AMD machine with dual processors is that you can achieve more efficiently what Intel is trying to do with "HyperThreading," but instead of executing simultaneous threads on the same chip, dual processors will probably do a better job; it really depends on how well Windows supports the dual processor machine.

The real issue is price. Why buy a $650 Pentium 4 3.20 GHz Hyperthreading single chip when you can get 2 AMD chips that cost less?

(If the real GHz is 2.0 GHz + 2.0 GHz = 4 GHz)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast