Thread: Cablevison and newsgroups

Alright so I first started downloading from their own servers (optimum online) and then I got tired of the cap, so I switched. Im now wondering if they have a cap on the amount of data you can download since as of now im getting 1500KB/s continuously.

Any information would be appreciated!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    what cap are you referring to? The speed cap? There is no download cap. You can download however much you want.

What did you switch to? If you switched to a pay newsgroups server then they offer higher speeds/more connections.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by backlash View Post
    what cap are you referring to? The speed cap? There is no download cap. You can download however much you want.

What did you switch to? If you switched to a pay newsgroups server then they offer higher speeds/more connections.
    I was referring to a download cap sorry for the misunderstanding, and yes I did switch to a pay newsgroups server. Thank you for the answer.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    QstorM's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    cablevision as in Optimum Online? If so they've been known to cap users who download/upload large amounts. There's a small wiki of it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_Online

This is the only reason why I still have DSL. Its DSL or cable but since they cap there's no point for me to switch. Waiting on fios though

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Take a look really closely at the fine print of your user agreement; in my local area it is Comcrud and they have been known to cut folks off for what they determine, on a 'case by case basis', to be 'excessive use'.

In particular, they keep real close look at the upstream data, which is much more constricted in their network than download. But there is a 'limit' out there with all cableco's, since it is a 'shared' system, i.e., like a party line telephone. Bits you use are not available for use by other either in your neighborhood or even city-wide (depending on how they engineered the system).

DSL by comparision is limited on on your individual line/speed, the DSLAM (dsl access multiplexer) at either the central office or a neighborhood fiber hub, is generally a minimum of OC12 (600Mb/s) or OC48 (2.4Gb/x) handling some several hundred customers. Newer stuff is even OC192 (10GB/s). So, obviously don't have the constrictions that cablecos have.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I've looked through the user agreement and from what I find all they mention is that they may cancel or cap accounts when the user goes over what they consider fair use.

I know they cap uploads after a certain amount (which they didnt seem to do after I uploaded around 7GB in 2 days on a linux torrent), so now the only thing im wondering is what do they consider fair use for downloads.

As for DSL the speeds arent really that great when compared to OOL's. Just today I reached speeds around 30mb/s which when compared to DSL are better. Sorry for going offtopic
    Last edited by fugazi26; 03-03-2007 at 05:55 AM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    I was capped for uploading too much. Now I know to throttle those speeds. Download is not a problem. You can constantly download...it's the upload that affects their network. I'm back to normal speeds now.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by fugazi26 View Post
    I've looked through the user agreement and from what I find all they mention is that they may cancel or cap accounts when the user goes over what they consider fair use.
    'Fair Use'.... right. The cableco's though are in the business of selling that capacity for video these days, calling it 'digital on-demand'. They are 'free' to use ('rob') that capacity to make another buck. Sounds 'fair' to them!

(Been 25 yrs. since I was on cable for any purpose or use). DSL is faster than cable where I live, at about 1/3rd the cost. If it's better/cheaper where you live, and they don't cut folks off for 'use', then go for it.

Of course, I also use part of my bandwidth for a data transmission site, which is strickly prohibited with cable. So there's no way other than DSL.
    Last edited by Beck38; 03-05-2007 at 01:50 AM.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Super Seed Me Please BT Rep: +5
    A lot of ISP providers dont support binaries and those that do usally have a limit on speed or how much you can download per month. Best option is just to rent I recommend www.newshosting.com