Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Philosophies and Arguments on File Sharing of Copyrighted Material

Question Mark

I need conceptual help on the philosophy of “file sharing of copyrighted material”.

Look, you know and I know that “file sharing” over the Internet is conducted by millions of people everyday. And it’s pretty simple to know as to what this “file sharing” is:

“File sharing is the practice of making files available for other users to download over the Internet and smaller networks. Usually file sharing follows the peer-to-peer (P2P) model, where the files are stored on and served by personal computers of the users. Most people who engage in file sharing are also downloading files that other users share. Sometimes these two activities are linked together. P2P file sharing is distinct from file trading in that downloading files from a P2P network does not require uploading, although some networks either provide incentives for uploading such as credits or force the sharing of files being currently downloaded.” -blah blah blah, Wikipedia
    That’s the general idea of it all.

The question is why do some of the people that “share” files justify their actions for, at least, downloading files that are copyrighted?

Everyone knows what copyrighted files are. You know, you aren’t supposed to download any copyrighted file for free because it’s restrained for regulated “use of a particular expression of an idea or information” based on the sole provider’s rights. Alright.

I’m not from any government agency. I’m just a guy trying to figure out the just morality and ethicality of this whole debate from different perspectives. At first I thought it was blasphemy to go to thepiratebay.org and download a movie still playing in the theater. I’m still pretty stuck on that notion. I’m very curious, so what I’m trying to do is open a discussion that will bring all sorts of arguments collectively to this relative location.

Maybe you don't agree with downloading copyrighted files. Perhaps you download copyrighted material like a fiend still to this day, long after the Napster dilemma. Hey, if you think it should be a legal practice, but don’t do any downloading of the kind, then you can prose your argument too. I want to know why you do or do not. As far as the forum rule of law and I are concerned, all philosophies on this matter are able for intervention.
    Now, argue and philosophize! (sophisticatedly)
    Last edited by JohnGaltsAxiom; 03-06-2007 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Title is not as clear as I wanted it to be. Should be: The Philosophies and Arguments on File Sharing of Copyrighted Material

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Freedom of Information. That's what I tell myself.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    trevorob's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I like to share my Information,as humans we are to share are we not.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Sure, I can see how you would think that "freedom of information" as a key to this 'downloading judgement'. Though, have you thought of an impact where no one shares information? This is very interesting. Thanks for the response, and keep it coming, please!
    Last edited by JohnGaltsAxiom; 03-06-2007 at 09:22 PM.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    You can also go on the "Robin Hood" kinda thing, where office programs such as M$'s are too expensive for some college students - so they look for free versions. I see it all the time where I am at...

Steal from the rich, give to the poor. Something like that
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorob View Post
    I like to share my Information,as humans we are to share are we not.
    Do we as humans share tangible information for enjoyment, or do we exchange it for compensation?

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Now this is just getting too complicated, I'm off to rip Shakira's new album.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Just so no one accuses me of being a self-promoting jerk. Here is what someone had said about me on another forum.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCube
    How orcgestrated for self-publicity! :evil:

Thanks for the find though.
    Go here to fully understand what is going on: http://ashtoniandemocracy.blogspot.c...-commence.html

No, I don't care how many hits I get at that site because no one would go there otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    Now this is just getting too complicated, I'm off to rip Shakira's new album.
    No!!! Just sit and think. Answer honestly as best as you can.

We can settle this debate--in time!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    You can also go on the "Robin Hood" kinda thing, where office programs such as M$'s are too expensive for some college students - so they look for free versions. I see it all the time where I am at...

Steal from the rich, give to the poor. Something like that
    Whether or not you think you're Robin Hood, and you think the law of the land is reprehensible, it's still illegal to do what the fictional character of Robin Hood did in the lands of the King of England or what ever.

Plus, Robin Hood was doing it for the poor as an aid to help them survive under tyranny from the government. Robin Hood was an outlaw.

"Stealing" or "sharing" the latest 50 cent album for the public is hardly related to Robin Hood's fictional situation.
    Last edited by JohnGaltsAxiom; 03-06-2007 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Did you understand my post? Cause I'm thinkin' you didn't; Also, 50 cent album? I was talking software.

I'm not Robin Hood, no.
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 03-06-2007 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Identity crisis, oops.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    maxehhh's Avatar Downloader BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt
    Freedom of Information. That's what I tell myself.
    That's it, not all the countries have the same people or money to buy what they want... (M$ and example)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast