Thread: A few questions about FTP

"4 bottletops-Good" BT Rep: +1
    I'm hoping someone has the answers to these questions and thanks loads if you do

I'm running a windows server in Europe as a seedbox and have to FTP the files I want to keep down to my PC in North America. I've got GENE6 FTP server installed on the server and have tried 4 different FTP clients to transfer files with. My question is...what should I realistically expect as far as transfer speeds etc.? The first client I used was CuteFTP Pro. I click a folder to download and it starts to transfer the files inside the folder. It always starts by transfering 5 files at a good clip but then begins to wind itself down to 4 at a time, 3 at a time and finally just stops. I get random errors with it like "access denied", "datasocket error" etc. After not being able to figure it out, I tried others. FTP Now simply won't connect. FTPRush and FTP Voyager work flawlessly....but, the transfer speeds are much much slower than with Cute. Rush seems to only want to download 1 file at a time and Voyager will download 1 file within a folder at a time...meaning I can download from 2 or more directories at a time but only 1 file at a time from each and like I said, the speeds are very slow compared to what I was seeing with Cute. I'm using SSL for the transfers.
    Has anyone had the problem that Cute FTP is temperamental and maybe just doesn't work well with Gene6 and what did you do to fix it? This would be my preference as the speeds were great. Aside from that, do you know of any other FTP clients that work pretty much like Cute?

Thanks!

Edited to add....ooops, looks like I posted in the wrong section. Should be in software, apologies.
    Last edited by Tusker; 03-08-2007 at 05:59 AM. Reason: wrong section...sorry

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    maxehhh's Avatar Downloader BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Do you try WindowsCommander?? if not why dont you try in Linux just for trying, if you get what you need in Linux (try a Ubuntu Live CD) you can install the NTFS-3G for Linux.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    You could try filezilla.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'll second that vote for Filezilla.

I thought the layout left a little to be desired, though I haven't spent much time investigating that side of it.

I find the operation to be flawless though, just what I'd expect from a mature open source product.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Sorry for the late thx. I'll give Filezilla try, thanks! I just finished a couple of days trying out FlashFXP....a bir better but still seems too slow. I'll spend the next week playing around with Filezilla.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    I would use flashfxp. Why do you want to download more than 1 file at a time? Your connection can only handle a set bandwidth downloading more files shouldnt speed it up, it will just spread your bandwidth between multiple sends. If thats not the case then your server has really bad routing to your home connection. My sugestion get a better server or try bouncing your sends of another server with mutually better routing between yourself and the server in EU.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    I would say the prob is not with client software but with FTP Server. Check if there is any limitation in total space alloted for the user name (FTP) in the server.....'cos datasocket error is encountered when you cross the limit (space) in the server. I hv faced this prob before and had to delete few files from the ftp server. Once deleted i was able to transfer files.

I hope this would help you !!!

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpy112 View Post
    I would use flashfxp. Why do you want to download more than 1 file at a time? Your connection can only handle a set bandwidth downloading more files shouldnt speed it up, it will just spread your bandwidth between multiple sends. If thats not the case then your server has really bad routing to your home connection. My sugestion get a better server or try bouncing your sends of another server with mutually better routing between yourself and the server in EU.

I've managed to get filezilla to do what I need. I understand that the connection can only handle a set bandwidth. The problem was that Flashxp et al was only giving me about 40k download on one file at a time. Not anywhere my limit. Cute was multiplying that but giving me problems. I've been able to mess around with Filezilla and ServU to get a bnice transfer rate plus a stable transfer so it's all good :-)

Thanks for all the advice and suggestins :-)

edited to add: Yes it was the server. I'm not sure why but ServU pretty much solved it. I have no idea why G6 wasn't co-operating. I banged my head against that wall for a very long time. I had my connection going to ServU in no time flat without any weirdness :-)
    Last edited by Tusker; 04-28-2007 at 04:17 AM.