Thread: Bios On Xp

My computer disabled 4 of my drives, one is my DVD drive, the rest are virtual drives like those created by D-tools and Alcohol 120%. The problem was supposed to be "case 22" It seemed to happen for no reason.
    I asked about this problem before and i was told that i could try re-enabling my drives by going to the BIOS on startup. Im running Windows XP home ed, how do i enter BIOS on startup?! My computer does not count memmory on startup, it only shows the Pentium IV page and then the WinXP loading page.

The troubleshooting guide says that i should press Pause/Break on startup, when the Memory is counting. Since my computer does not count memory, i jsut pressed it when i saw the Pentium IV page. The computer just freezes, but no BIOS

Does anyone know how to get my drives re-enabled?
    -TiMz

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    when the pentium page comes up it should say press blah to enter setup, the usual is delete

edit: also i do not think your problem lies there, i dont think the bios will have any control over your virtual drives.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    .........would i be able to re-enable my virtual drives if i uninstalled the programs, then reinstalled?
    -TiMz

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    that could be a plan. give it a go see if it works.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Can't you just use the Windows XP "system restore" feature?
    (start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore)

A very useful tool when adding/removing software on a regular basis.

p.s. accessing your bios is a waste of time.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    When your computer first boots up hit delete. If that does not work try F2. Boom bios action!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Hmm, ok the drive does come back if u un-install and reinstall the virtual drive programs, but i didnt want to do that for my Alcohol 120% cuz i lost the serial for it. I still cant access my BIOS but i tried the system restore and i seem to have gotten all my drives back!

Thx a lot for the help everyone
    -TiMz

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    What motherboard is it? That way we might be able to find the online manual to help you get into your BIOS.

In most cases if you keep hitting the delete key over and over quickly as you power on your PC you will get into the BIOS.
    Keep hitting the key until you see a blue screen. If Windows starts booting then it's too late. Try again with another key.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by Timz@28 May 2003 - 02:42
    Hmm, ok the drive does come back if u un-install and reinstall the virtual drive programs, but i didnt want to do that for my Alcohol 120% cuz i lost the serial for it. I still cant access my BIOS but i tried the system restore and i seem to have gotten all my drives back!

Thx a lot for the help everyone
    The serial should be stored in regedit
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/(program name)