Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proper client use on private trackers (e.g. Oink)

I downloaded the clients from the uTorrent and Azerues websites.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    I was able to contact OiNK staff and describe the situation as well as my own torrenting background. I found the staff member to be considerate and reasonable.

It looks like #4 contributed most to the problem. The repetitive disconnect / reconnect / restart torrent cycle looked like I was "stealth downloading". I.e. it appeared like I was trying to avoid sending download stats. It also appeared that I got disconnected leeching a torrent and reconnected seeding. I don't quit understand the technical aspects of this part. Perhaps using two clients, constantly re-connecting and hitting "manual update torrent" interfered with dl stat reports. Anyway, I was advised that if I have internet problems, to just leave the client alone for about an hour to allow it to be resolved. I will also just use a single client and avoid using manual updates. Thank you for all your input. I hope this may help someone with a similar problem.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    upGrayde's Avatar Tax Evader BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    stop ratio cheating
    Alright.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by upGrayde View Post
    stop ratio cheating
    I support strong penalties against cheaters. There are, however, some well-intentioned novice users that unknowingly arise suspicion. The point of this thread was to learn about proper torrenting.
    Last edited by RoJo; 03-14-2007 at 12:41 AM. Reason: grammar edit

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJo View Post
    I was able to contact OiNK staff and describe the situation as well as my own torrenting background. I found the staff member to be considerate and reasonable.

It looks like #4 contributed most to the problem. The repetitive disconnect / reconnect / restart torrent cycle looked like I was "stealth downloading". I.e. it appeared like I was trying to avoid sending download stats. It also appeared that I got disconnected leeching a torrent and reconnected seeding. I don't quit understand the technical aspects of this part. Perhaps using two clients, constantly re-connecting and hitting "manual update torrent" interfered with dl stat reports. Anyway, I was advised that if I have internet problems, to just leave the client alone for about an hour to allow it to be resolved. I will also just use a single client and avoid using manual updates. Thank you for all your input. I hope this may help someone with a similar problem.

When you get disconnected from a site for any number of reasons...
    The client should technically reconnect on its own periodically provided the server is up. How long depends on the announce time in your client. Most clients range from 15 - 45 minutes. Once your client tries to announce again it should find the site and announce properly.

IN reguards to the from leeching to seeding without announces... thats possible as well. For instance say the site was boggled down with queries and wasnt responding when your client announces for whatever reason. Its highly possible you could have completed your file before the next announce occured. (Again 15 - 45 minutes depending on the client.) Your dl an mp3 file it shouldnt take all that long depending on the amount of peers and the speed in the swarm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12