Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper client use on private trackers (e.g. Oink)

Hi all,

I'm new to the world of private trackers and I'm concerned I'm not doing something right.

My Oink account recently got disabled and in chat I was quickly told "you got caught" and was banned.

I would never consider cheating, nor would I know how. My concern is that I'm a bit naive to bittorrent clients and I may have unknowingly done something that was suspicious or unacceptable. I recently joined other private sites, and I want to be a contributing member and not have this happen again.

Here are a few of my behaviors I question. Please tell me if this would be considered unacceptable on a private site.

1. I use two different computers to upload / download.
    2. I have used two different clients (Azureus and uTorrent)
    3. I hit "manually update tracker" in uTorrent. Sometimes a lot, like every few minutes. This seemed to increase my transfer speeds. Plus, on some torrents, uTorrent had trouble connecting; manual updates seemed to help.
    4. I use two different open / free wirleless connections at home (e.g. linksys). I often get disconnected since the signal is so weak. So, I switch between the two networks and start the torrents going again.

I don't know much about IP, ISP, IRC etc. and I'm concerned some of these factors look bad or put a stress on the private tracker.

I'm so saddened to be shut out of Oink. It was a treasure. I donated money, uploaded about 20 new torrents the last two weeks, reported dozens of duplicate files, and filled several requests. I do not want to get banned from other sites and would appreciate any advice.

Thank you,
    RoJo
    Last edited by RoJo; 03-12-2007 at 05:22 AM. Reason: grammar error

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJo View Post
    1. I use two different computers to upload / download.
    why two different computers? do you mean one computer at home, and one at work?

3. I hit "manually update tracker" in uTorrent. Sometimes a lot, like every few minutes. This seemed to increase my transfer speeds. Plus, on some torrents, uTorrent had trouble connecting; manual updates seemed to help.
    hammering the tracker with announces is not good for anyone. if you're announcing every few minutes, you're most likely going to be banned from alot of places. just open the torrent and let it do it's regularly scheduled updates. updating at intervals not dictated by the tracker can get you flagged for possible cheating.

4. I use two different open / free wirleless connections at home (e.g. linksys). I often get disconnected since the signal is so weak. So, I switch between the two networks and start the torrents going again.
    if you're constantly logging in from different IP addresses and starting/stopping torrents often, it looks very suspicious.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    You should be only D/L from one IP address. Otherwise you will get banned from most private trackers. Just use one client Utorrent is great. Make sure you have dht and peer exchange disabled(utorrent). And make sure you read the FAQ when you join private torrent b/c they have different rules. #4 is what probably got you banned.if i am understanding you correctly. This makes it look like you are sharing your account with someone else. And will get you banned.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    It looks like I have some room for improvement here. Thank you for your input.

I use a computer at work (I let uTorrent run in the background). I use my home computer at night (and sometimes overnight).

I guess it is best to choose one network and just stick with it. Unfortunately, my home network is so slow.

One other question: The linksys wireless connection around here is open and free. Is it OK to use it with private trackers? I'm not registered with them or anything.

Uh Oh, I had uTorrent going with default settings, which means dht and peer exchange were enabled. Why is this bad?
    Last edited by RoJo; 03-12-2007 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Added last sentence

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    you generally only want one IP address related to your account on a private tracker. it's best to ask these questions in the specific tracker's forums, because everywhere has different rules.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Buggyme's Avatar Retired BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Since when is there a 1 IP rule?
    A lot of people have seedboxes and they don't get banned.

You're fine RoJo, but about the force update thing, it's best not to do it too often. I know sites like BitMeTV don't like it and will ban you if you do it excessively.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggyme View Post
    Since when is there a 1 IP rule?
    I never said there was. that's why I suggested that he check with the specific tracker. if he was using a seedbox, a curious admin could do a quick whois and see that the other address is at a hosting company. if he's connecting through all kinds of ip addresses (one at work, one at home, two different wireless networks), it could look suspicious.

he's already been banned at one tracker and doesn't know why. I wouldn't want to suggest that he continues connecting through multiple IP addresses without checking with the tracker first.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    sert's Avatar t r e s BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Quote Originally Posted by shyheim View Post
    You should be only D/L from one IP address. Otherwise you will get banned from most private trackers.
    You are sooo wrong. Who told you that?

I download from work & home with different IPs from every tracker (and I have many) for 2 years now and never got banned - not even warned yet.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    I don't have a seedbox. Don't even know what that is.

I think my IP is dynamic. Wouldn't the IP address be different everytime I login to the tracker? Why would it matter where I was logging in from (i.e. two different home wireless connections).

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    The multi ips shouldnt really be an issue on most trackers. In most cases its only an issue if the ratio sucks ect...

Did you download your client direct from the clients website or get it off a friend or elsewhere on the net? I would go more with the idea it was the client users or too many announces... but most sites could care less about the announces since we can stop your client from announcing if we wanted to anyways. EX: Like TL and many other sites only let you announce every x minutes. If you try announcing before X minutes it tells you its not accepting it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast