The futures bright, the futures Linux:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/g...p/linux?s=corp

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka View Post
    But you can't build a laptop!
    Actually, you can.
    "Whitebook" systems are available (primarily from Asus/Acer) which consist of the chassis, display and motherboard.
    You add CPU, RAM, HDD and opticals to suit.
    Not really as cost efficient as building a PC...yet.
    Yeah..but realistically speaking you can't build one! for now..
    Last edited by Shiranai_Baka; 03-14-2007 at 03:14 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    n00b BT Rep: +5
    My dell machine rocks.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by popopot View Post
    The futures bright, the futures Linux:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/g...p/linux?s=corp
    Dell: Linux Learnings "We're listening"

Right. I don't think they're really listening.

When we say we don't want Windows to be preinstalled on a laptop, we don't mean that we want you to charge us to preinstall Linux.

Just sell us a laptop! We'll install our own OS. Thankyou very much.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Most of my customers who "hate Dell" (or Gateway, or eMachines,etc.) brought it upon themselves.
    Why do consumers delude themselves into believing that one can buy at the low end of the price spectrum and get a high end machine?
    Dell is not magic...a cheap PC will have the slower HDD, optical, RAM and anything else it takes to meet the price point.
    Then they'll throw as many "trial" apps/ads on the desktop as they can get paid for.
    It's just the price you pay for paying so little.

Then there is the sad but undeniable fact that most folks are clueless (or "computer illiterate" as I hear 100 times a day) and have fallen for all the bushwa from MS/Dell....everybody else, that all this will be "easy" and "fun".
    Yes, it can be- but only if the owner is willing to expend an iota of intellectual energy learning how to use the fuckin thing.
    Most aren't.

So we have legions of dimwitted users. running low end machines, who cannot imagine why Doom3 looks like a black screen with smudges randomly moving around- and their reaction is "I hate Dell".

meh.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Most of my customers who "hate Dell" (or Gateway, or eMachines,etc.) brought it upon themselves.
    Why do consumers delude themselves into believing that one can buy at the low end of the price spectrum and get a high end machine?
    Dell is not magic...a cheap PC will have the slower HDD, optical, RAM and anything else it takes to meet the price point.
    Then they'll throw as many "trial" apps/ads on the desktop as they can get paid for.
    It's just the price you pay for paying so little.

Then there is the sad but undeniable fact that most folks are clueless (or "computer illiterate" as I hear 100 times a day) and have fallen for all the bushwa from MS/Dell....everybody else, that all this will be "easy" and "fun".
    Yes, it can be- but only if the owner is willing to expend an iota of intellectual energy learning how to use the fuckin thing.
    Most aren't.

So we have legions of dimwitted users. running low end machines, who cannot imagine why Doom3 looks like a black screen with smudges randomly moving around- and their reaction is "I hate Dell".

meh.
    That used to be my reaction.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    LOL if you want a nice PC build it yourself, theres no real substitute in terms of bang for the buck.

You can build a very powerful PC if you shop around for the same price as a mid-range Dell.

I love Dell's 30 inch monitor

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    In my opinion Dell are make good computers. They have often good offers. But i prefer "Home made PC". But if you dont cant build, I reomend Dell

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    my friend have a 7800 dimension, and it is slow as hell.

low cost pc, right,
    but relatively cheap stuff inside too.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    SHUVT's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Bottom line is "You get what you pay for". I have a Dell XPS 410 loaded. I love it. Very fast. But I payed for it. First thing you have to do with a Dell PC is wipe it clean and reload windows fresh. They tend to load tons of secondary software from google, AOL and so on. After you wipe it clean even a dimensions pc should run quick. Again if you have had a pc for any amount of time and you do not know how to clean out all the crap that gets loaded on them of course your shit is going to run slow. I have seen baddass systems that people have built and they call me to check them out because of problems with speed.

When I get there and start cleaning all the crap off they are good to go. PCs are like cars, you have to give them a tune up every once in awhile to make sure they are running smooth and that you don't have serious issues later.
    I haven't taken a beating like that since I opened my first issue of Hustler!
    The World is a Sick Place and I'm a Happy Guy!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123