Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oink Says 'nuff About Music

thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    OK, well j2k4, before you move your very first topic and this thread gets swamped by newbie posters, begging for an invite and becomes abandoned by the creator; who then probably will have to empty daily, his pm box, what was your opinion. remembering in the back of your head, this has northing to do with invites, but more the merits of the system.

This thread could evolve into a guide for creating and in particular the sharing of higher quality music.... or could end up abandoned in the BitTorrent section.

PS remember, hardly any of you would have noticed this thread in that section and the feedback and expertise I am looking for, can probably only be found in the Drawing Room..or maybe the lounge, and perhaps in Lilmiss's famous thread "Whatcha Listening To"
    Last edited by thewizeard; 03-14-2007 at 07:14 AM. Reason: efficacy

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    OK, well j2k4, before you move your very first topic and this thread gets swamped by newbie posters, begging for an invite and becomes abandoned by the creator; who then probably will have to empty daily, his pm box, what was your opinion. remembering in the back of your head, this has northing to do with invites, but more the merits of the system.

This thread could evolve into a guide for creating and in particular the sharing of higher quality music.... or could end up abandoned in the BitTorrent section.

PS remember, hardly any of you would have noticed this thread in that section and the feedback and expertise I am looking for, can probably only be found in the Drawing Room..or maybe the lounge, and perhaps in Lilmiss's famous thread "Whatcha Listening To"
    Upon reflection, I'm inclined to go with ERttB, as this is a filesharing forum at bottom, and that is the subject.

Let's let it marinate until I get done with work today, and gather opinions as to the long-term possibilities.

I've already made such a hash of things we might best start over, yes?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #23
    ..now I have gone and forgotten what I was going to say

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    ..now I have gone and forgotten what I was going to say
    I was counting on that.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #25
    Do what you like, change the name of the thread, I do hope you will let it marinate for a while

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #26
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    TW

You were going to point out that the idea of this thread was to discuss the rights and wrongs of the concept of invite trading, particularly in light of the fact that it is against the wishes of most boards. As opposed to proposing that invite sharing take place anywhere other than in the section where it's allowed.

You wanted this to be a subject dealt with in a serious, mostly spam free manner. As such The Drawing Room was the place to have this discussion. You're more looking for a discussion on internet morality and manners than anything else.

I am very much agin' it. Invites should only be GIVEN to people who you know (albeit on the internet). They should not be traded, as that goes against the whole concept of "private" trackers, which should be inhabited by people who know and/or trust one another. This provides 2 main advantages. Firstly security against law enforcement or civil bodies like FACT. Secondly it prevents high levels of leeching. To trade invites is to be a traitor to the basic tenets of file sharing.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    TW

You were going to point out that the idea of this thread was to discuss the rights and wrongs of the concept of invite trading, particularly in light of the fact that it is against the wishes of most boards. As opposed to proposing that invite sharing take place anywhere other than in the section where it's allowed.

You wanted this to be a subject dealt with in a serious, mostly spam free manner. As such The Drawing Room was the place to have this discussion. You're more looking for a discussion on internet morality and manners than anything else.

I am very much agin' it. Invites should only be GIVEN to people who you know (albeit on the internet). They should not be traded, as that goes against the whole concept of "private" trackers, which should be inhabited by people who know and/or trust one another. This provides 2 main advantages. Firstly security against law enforcement or civil bodies like FACT. Secondly it prevents high levels of leeching. To trade invites is to be a traitor to the basic tenets of file sharing.
    Good points, and thank you for helping me to decide this belongs in ERttB, on the main strength that it is a topic which relates primarily to the basic raison d'etre of this forum.

That alone is the reason for moving it out of The Drawing Room.

-Mark Twain

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #28
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    How is it ERttB.

That's stuff which relates to the board. i.e. the board itself and not the subject it is dedicated to. Bet if it were originally posted there it would have been moved out.

Anyway it's a discussion on morality, rather than filesharing.

Sorry for finishing that sentence with a preposition btw. The huns have just been knocked out of Europe and their season is over, so I'm a bit high spirited.
    Last edited by Agrajag; 03-14-2007 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    How is it ERttB.

That's stuff which relates to the board. i.e. the board itself and not the subject it is dedicated to. Bet if it were originally posted there it would have been moved out.

Anyway it's a discussion on morality, rather than filesharing.

Sorry for finishing that sentence with a preposition btw. The huns have just been knocked out of Europe and their season is over, so I'm a bit high spirited.
    It is a subject which aligns rather nicely with the business of this board, as in FileSharingTalk.

Do you suppose we ought to create a sub-forum there titled Moral Issues in the arena of illicit file procurement?

-Mark Twain

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #30
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Public offering of free invites should be made in the BT Invites section.
    FST does have a rule pertaining specifically to this and to allow regular (read established) members the freedom to offer them outside of the permissable section could encourage n00bs to similarly flaunt the rules instead of 'earning' access to that restricted area.

PMing members you are familiar with is the preferred method, outside of the BT Invites section, of offering any Oink (or other) invites you may wish to distribute.

That should clear things up. I hope.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast