Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oink Says 'nuff About Music

thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Would you agree that giving away (Oink) BitTorrents invites is far too serious a business to be posted in the BitTorrent invite section and more suitable for the drawing room?

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    No.

EDit: and also: wtf?

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    Would you agree that giving away (Oink) BitTorrents invites is far too serious a business to be posted in the BitTorrent invite section and more suitable for the drawing room?
    Without having the slightest idea what manner of porcine mischief you have in mind, I will bid you very carefully tip-toe around any possible infractions in order to inform us what you speak of.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post
    No.

EDit: and also: WTF?
    I find WTF a very handy and free spyware, task manager, manager SnnY...with it you can check if un-needed programs are slylently running in the back ground, eating away at your RAM and with an intergrated Google search browser that automatically copies the name of the process you highlight in the WTF window to the search browser. You can then search the desired information on the INTERNET, and decide if you can kill the process ..or not, without crashing your system.Within seconds.

Does that help?

Regarding the No, what I was looking for was for guidance, if ever I received some private invites to give away. Oink is one such example, but there are more. Oink is for music, and a good source I heard. I mean we Google information and we Oink the best music.

For example, I noticed some users sharing music files on one of my servers, with a bit-rate of 80Kbs. The problem being, that ring-tones, can be shared too...any file in fact that you can think of are shared in large numbers on my servers. Now the minimum bit-rate on Oink I heard should be at least 192 kbs which says for me enough. Trans-codes are a problem too, and I believe those are not allowed. Luckily I have a filter on my server so that bit-rates lower than 128 are filtered out, I raised this recently to 192...this helps keeps the trash out of the search returns. While, still allowing ring-tones to be shared on the network.What to do with one's old Album collections? Adobe Audition is a good program for checking them. A quick way to check though is the freeware Audio Identifier http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Identifier.htm program. You will be surprised how many of your original albums collection are actually compilations using all sorts of different ripping formats for the same album! Tag and Rename is also handy and gives a lot of information and I believe both can create a quality html list of the file properties which can be exported to be included in a folder.

But I digress..If I had some invites to give away for a private site , I think I would need at least an email address, with some info about their motivation and why they want one. What sort of information do you think one would need to help decide who should actually receive the desired invites? Do most of the invites in the Bittorrent section mainly go to senior, active members here? I think I would tend to give them to users I know for some time.
    Last edited by thewizeard; 03-13-2007 at 11:51 AM.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    No, invites there go to people most of us have never heard about, who have a bunch of rep points they've given each other, points which mean nothing to most of us

EDit: I sure wouldn't go there for invites, and I'm not giving anyone in there any, either (assuming they aren't people I know otherwise, anyways).

TBH, in my case I'd use cheebus's board, or ask in the lounge (if I have extras beyond what I give IRL-people, which hasn't happened yet). And I'm only giving stuff like that to people I like, anyways.

My advice would be to do the same.

I'd not say that the drawing room is the place for it, hence the "No".
    Last edited by Snee; 03-13-2007 at 04:09 PM.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    No.

If anything I feel this thread should have been posted in Everything Related to the Board since the issues you are raising aren't really what the drawing room is for. Apart from you wanting to trade invites in this section, which is just wrong and defeats the purpose of the invites section, where it's supposed to be done, although most of the regulars make their trades via PM and the lounge, but that's another story, just ask JP about 'trading' invites in the lounge.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    I think "No" too. Isn't that what the bittorrent invites section is for, or am I missing something

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    I was hoping for a serious discussion on how to go about it.

I think it's probably better to keep an open site, that allows users to freely create an own account. As trading is against my principle regarding P2P filesharing. also there is no real protectionn and maybe give a false sense of security. Users logging on that try to trade, eventually, when found, will and do get banned from our servers. So no, this is not a surreptitious attempt to trade Invites. I do though hope to improve the quality of shared data on my network through discussion here.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I was hoping for a serious discussion on how to go about it.

I think it's probably better to keep an open site, that allows users to freely create an own account. As trading is against my principle regarding P2P filesharing. also there is no real protectionn and maybe give a false sense of security. Users logging on that try to trade, eventually, when found, will and do get banned from our servers. So no, this is not a surreptitious attempt to trade Invites. I do though hope to improve the quality of shared data on my network through discussion here.
    What is that a quote from? The OinK forum?

On the contrary though, OinK account trades are rarely disabled. Obviously, they would like members to feel otherwise.

There are plenty of conversations about this in the Bittorrent section.

yo

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    Of course this is not what I wish to discuss. If I post there skizo then there might be a lot of posts from say members with join date, say, January 2007, yet here I have already seen advice coming in from two members with join year 2002

That is not a quote from Oink's by the way skizo, as far as I know, it is the policy of my filesharing network that you can find here http://mensap2p.com/ and others you can find at this URL http://www.gotnap.com/index.php?loc=list Most of them block or ban traders. Remember FST's advice, "Never Pay For FileShaing" Thats also our reason. It is and should remain free.
    Last edited by thewizeard; 03-13-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast