Thread: Dvd+r/dvd-r

IceTee's Avatar Fo'shizzle my nizzle BT Rep: +2
    Can anyone explain to me the difference between + and - ?

I've read a couple of topics in other Forums and no one seems able to give a solid awnser.

FST users, can you?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    You may find you answer here. This is a great information and reference site:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    IceTee's Avatar Fo'shizzle my nizzle BT Rep: +2
    I had all ready checked that site.
    The problem remains the same... there is apparently no difference between the two:

DVD-R and DVD-RW
    DVD-R was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
    DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 80% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD-R and DVD-RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double sided 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
    These formats are supported by DVDForum.

DVD+R and DVD+RW
    DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD+R and DVD+RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
    These formats are supported by the DVD+RW Alliance.

But the "+", at least here in Portugal, are more expensive.
    Last edited by IceTee; 03-15-2007 at 06:09 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    If you've ever done a lot of burning, they most certainly are not the same. have you tried here?

yo

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you want rewritable then go for +RW, the options for extending recordiings and overwriting are better.

If you just want one time recordable disks there is no reason why the recorded disk should vary between +R and -R, so go for the cheapest.

For video recording (using a suitable camcorder or dvd recorder) onto one time recordable disks it is possible to extend the recording using +R disks. You would be unlikely to use that facility on a computer though.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    If you want rewritable then go for +RW, the options for extending recordiings and overwriting are better.

If you just want one time recordable disks there is no reason why the recorded disk should vary between +R and -R, so go for the cheapest.

For video recording (using a suitable camcorder or dvd recorder) onto one time recordable disks it is possible to extend the recording using +R disks. You would be unlikely to use that facility on a computer though.
    -R has always been the best bet for me. Whether that be CDs or DVDs.

yo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    This is a complicated question.What you decide to burn depends on your equipment...Older standalone dvd players have problems reading dvd +...Many dvd burners burn dvd+ with higher success Liteon comes to mind...Even my Benq drive burns dvd + disks with better results.I find the best solution for me is to burn dvd+ bookset or booktyped to dvd-rom (to confuse matters more ) google it..DVD-Rom has the best readabilty