Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone should make a sticky of the shortend names.

Quote Originally Posted by DefianceX View Post
    Its mindboggling that you guys just cant use google and all its immense powers to find out whats behind those abbreviations. Noone had to spoon feed me and tell me the url's of those 3 letter combos and i still found out what they were.
    What's the point? That's an absolute waste of time when people here can quite easily be so much more informative in what they post. This obsession with acronyms and pseudo secrecy is completely retarded, and is quite obviously a symptom of the elitist attitude a lot of posters here seem to have. Like you say, it's easy to find the information within a few minutes, so why bother withhold it in the first place?

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Panther's Avatar lost BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    like people said, fst will get even more unwanted attension if theyr users start to post the full names when the trackers clearly say they dont want it...

And when you have been here for a while and keep reading you will start to figure it out

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Why bother withhold it in the first place??

- Because its frowned upon by the trackers to divulge it in the first place or any kind of unwanted publicity. DUH. Unless you've just been using kazaa these last few years, you should know that about private trackers. If you didnt, then your ignorance is forgiven.

Symptoms of elitist attitude??

Right. You obviously know what youre talking about since youve been here a while and you have a right to cast judgement on members you know oh so well.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by donners View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DefianceX View Post
    Its mindboggling that you guys just cant use google and all its immense powers to find out whats behind those abbreviations. Noone had to spoon feed me and tell me the url's of those 3 letter combos and i still found out what they were.
    What's the point? That's an absolute waste of time when people here can quite easily be so much more informative in what they post. This obsession with acronyms and pseudo secrecy is completely retarded, and is quite obviously a symptom of the elitist attitude a lot of posters here seem to have. Like you say, it's easy to find the information within a few minutes, so why bother withhold it in the first place?
    Elitist attitude? That's a new one.

They are abbreviated on this forum for two reasons, one of which I've already covered:

The trackers have requested that we not allow for their names and/or URLs to be publicy posted. They prefer the secrecy, we're just being respectful of their wishes. All in the name of courtesy, really.

The others are not for secrecy purposes at all (at all), at least not for me. When you're having discussions in this section of the forum on a regular basis, its becomes tiresome to retype those names, incessantly. It's just easier and faster to say 'TL', as opposed to 'Torrentleech'.

Elitist attitude.....thanks, I needed that.

yo

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    mikechrobot's Avatar Trader Hater BT Rep: +2
    the only site that i know of that crearly states to not tell the name in the rules is FTN the others like ScT, SCC or other ones that aren't allowed to be written never stated this so i don't know why it's not possible to say their full names

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    mikechrobot's Avatar Trader Hater BT Rep: +2
    sorry for double post
    Last edited by mikechrobot; 04-22-2007 at 04:20 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    kirktrix's Avatar Killing Zone BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Actually it is very easy to search it on google. U just try it first before u complain.

Not all things/knowledge are given freely.
    "Death is the result of weakness. The strong are the only ones who survive."

“I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill.”

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    GINZY's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    just google. U can find everything. But everything means nothing if u ain't got da invites

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Firstly, are we being elitist by using abbreviations. Of course we are...

We should stop using abbreviations NOW...

We should not refer to the USA as USA, but as United States of America.

I DON'T want to hear any more talk of FST. It IS File Sharing Talk.

Did you get sued by the MPAA? NO YOU DIDN'T. You got sued by the Motion Picture Association of America.

Elistist indeed. The reason we use abbreviations is to save typing. If we spelt out everything in full, then keyboard manuafacturers would be having a hey day turning out new units, and we'd spend so much time typing out the full words that we would have no time left to enjoy ourselves.

Abbreviations are a part of our living. To scoff because torrent sites are following the norm is irrational. Does anyone here still type full words on a cellphone, or do they use txttlk?

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    list of acronyms for some private trackers

http://forums.torrentportal.com/ftopic28114.html .. google did help !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast