Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shell Tunneling

RTFM's Avatar <? print "BCC"; ?> BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Does anyone here use shell tunneling with bittorrent? I'm interested in it, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. Do you use a free shell provider (any recommendations welcome) or do you pay for your shell?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I have no clue what your talking about an explanation would be great.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Shell tunneling, as far as I know, is routing normal TCP traffic through an SSH connection to a shell, which connects to the target server. I think this increases anonymity, but I'm not completely sure. Shells can also be used for FTP, web hosting, email, etc.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    On most torrent sites as far as i know if you are anonymous it won't let you upload or download at least on any private site.Maybe you can use this on public sites but thats probably as far as it can go by the way it sounds.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I don't think it increases anonymity to the tracker (they can still link the shell IP to your account), just to the ISP and the outside world. But again, I'm really not sure.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    General2k's Avatar Death's End BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Correct me if I am wrong but I believe they are much like a proxy, and proxies work fine.
    Gee, Brain what do you want to do tonight?
    The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    redMonster's Avatar Flying Without Wings BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I am not really sure, but I think this method hides your downloading and uploading activites from your ISP, so that your ISP doesn't know what you are downloading.
    Click here if you want to join TTC

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Sounds like something we should all be using then,sign me up

This article is pretty good but is it what you are talking about?

http://www.whalesalad.com/2006/08/27...rent-over-ssh/

Err after reading some more maybe its not what your talking about but may help some people on here.
    Last edited by deuce6000; 03-22-2007 at 05:19 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by General2k View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but I believe they are much like a proxy, and proxies work fine.
    Yeah, that's essentially what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by deuce6000 View Post
    Sounds like something we should all be using then,sign me up

This article is pretty good but is it what you are talking about?

http://www.whalesalad.com/2006/08/27...rent-over-ssh/

Err after reading some more maybe its not what your talking about but may help some people on here.
    That's what I was talking about, I read that article yesterday night as well.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    that is nothing but dynamic tunneling.. but the things is that ur up/down speeds will throttle down a lot depending upon the ssh server's speed
    Thanks to aburyach,berserk1980,colterwood,Detale,Evandro,gamer4eva,RealitY,shamong,titana & Xsensei for their help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast