Thread: ISP new group server.

..... BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Ok, so i was just looking around on the internet and found out that my ISP has a great usenet server. I max out my connection on it approx. 800kB/s-1mB/s. Is it safer to use my ISP's usenet server than it is to use torrents? (Been using torrents for a long time but i hate having to upload all the time.) Will they warn me or anything if I use it to download copyrighted files? It's their server so i don't know if its a good idea or not.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    You get sued by copyright holders and the entities that represent them, not your ISP. You connect to a server - not other users, including these entities. If these hostile entities do not connect to you they have no way of knowing, or proving anything that you may have done.

Downloading is completely safe. No one has ever been sued for downloading material from Usenet. Uploading is very different, and not to be ventured into by a novice.

Is Usenet safer...
    Since 1985, 0 (zero) users have been sued for downloading.
    Vs.
    Hundreds of torrent users sued monthly.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    dont be scared and download .. go leech likes theres no tomorrow

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    ..... BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    I yust downloaded a file that was 72 days old, that has to be something for a ISP newsgroup server? I think they might be using GigaNews, is that possible? And i can have 25 open "bots", so i guess im lucky i found out about this before i bought access.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by erdniZ View Post
    I yust downloaded a file that was 72 days old, that has to be something for a ISP newsgroup server? I think they might be using GigaNews, is that possible? And i can have 25 open "bots", so i guess im lucky i found out about this before i bought access.

Count yourself very lucky then, because most ISP newssevers are not nearly so good with retention or bots as yours is! Most ISP newsservers suck.

This the the first case I have heard of someone using an ISP newsserver and getting that good a retention or connections.