Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is good yet bad

nvidia6800's Avatar ....... BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    i dont play it yet but seem good for me

2. Games   -   #12
    maxrebo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quite fun, especially if you've seen the movie or read the book that it is sort of based on.

Agreed though, the bugs are pretty painful, the guns are overly realistic, and its not well optimised, so you need a pretty hefty video card to run it well.

3. Games   -   #13
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHeshPants420 View Post
    I completed it last night, I'll wait until a patch and some decent mods come out before I go back. Still, that was the best FPS game I've played for a long time.
    I agree, imho it's a great FPS - it oozes atmosphere, and any game that has weird Russian zombies that carry guns in it is always cool in ma book... boom! Headshot!!

I would say it kinda reminded me of Oblivion in it's (semi) free form approach....ok like Oblivion Chuck Norris stylee, maybe? I've just wandered off into the wild doing side missions and gonna follow the main story line later I like games that let you do that kind of stuff, if you're so inclined.

The arsenal of guns available seems mighty impressive, the SA-80 look-a-like is especially good for those aforementioned Zombie muthas....If I do have a problem it would be with the inventory and the amount you can carry, although it's seems pretty real, it also is a pain in the arse at times... when you pick a bandage up and in doing so root yourself to the spot cos yer too fat to walk, always nice when surround by packs of wild dogs and crazed mutants.

Maybe something like having your own stashes or a base camp and have some where to keep all my ill gotten gains, and not having to decide to drop most of my already sparse rations in the wilderness so I can lug back the new silenced AK-47 I just gimped off one of my stalker buddies...I'd like to keep all my nice shiny guns and be able to pick and choose which one for specific missions. But that's just me i'm a hoarder!

I'm currently dossing around the 100 Rads bar area... trying to decide which faction to side with, but they all seem so nice sitting round the camp fire singing their wee songs... Cheer up chum have some vodka!

Also I'm sorry to hear the game has been released and many are having problems/bugs, but again only from my own experience, the game has been relatively bug free, for me.. Runs sweet as a nut on my modest system, occassianal sound stutters but to be honest that's all I can think of that's been mildly annoying. Hopefully nothing a wee patch wont sort out... I hope.

Anyway my brain is fried, back into the zone...
    Last edited by Colt Seevers; 03-26-2007 at 09:45 PM.

4. Games   -   #14
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    It's a triumph of good gameplay in my opinion, who gives a feck if the graphics are a bit dated? What it lacks in Oblivion-esque lushness it makes up for by being immersive, scary and downright unique. Alongside this you have an intelligent AI world existing around you (this, btw, is what games companies should be working on in there games, not trying to make hair look realistic or create fancy water effects). Hopefully a patch will sort the graphical glitches out and a few other problems (more sniper ammo would be nice...).

There are features missing that we were promised 4 years ago (or more...) which is disappointing. But I'm more than happy with the game we got, when the SDK comes out this game is just going to get better.
    Last edited by Cheese; 03-26-2007 at 07:56 PM.

5. Games   -   #15
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    It's a triumph of good gameplay in my opinion, who gives a feck if the graphics are a bit dated? What it lacks in Oblivion-esque lushness it makes up for by being immersive, scary and downright unique. Alongside this you have an intelligent AI world existing around you (this, btw, is what games companies should be working on in there games, not trying to make hair look realistic or create fancy water effects). Hopefully a patch will sort the graphical glitches out and a few other problems (more sniper ammo would be nice...).

There are features missing that we were promised 4 years ago (or more...) which is disappointing. But I'm more than happy with the game we got, when the SDK comes out this game is just going to get better.
    Well I give a fuck, frankly. You are right that the game has great atmosphere but after all this time, I was hoping for a juggernaut.

Give me the atmosphere and graphics. I shouldn't even call the game a disappointment since I thought (before it came out) that the graphics would kinda suck and it would have great gameplay. Hell, RE4 had both great graphics and gameplay and that was last gen console game.

6. Games   -   #16
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post

Well I give a fuck, frankly. You are right that the game has great atmosphere but after all this time, I was hoping for a juggernaut.

Give me the atmosphere and graphics. I shouldn't even call the game a disappointment since I thought (before it came out) that the graphics would kinda suck and it would have great gameplay. Hell, RE4 had both great graphics and gameplay and that was last gen console game.
    I think the graphics are better than RE4, by quite a way tbh.

7. Games   -   #17
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    the atmosphere is there. the graphics seem kinda outdated, but that's probably because half are disabled for me. plus the framerate suffers severely if i max out what i'm allowed to. i'd say considering the technical shit the game has to work on the graphics are good. just the levels are designed to look like an area of the ukraine that's been abandoned for 20 years

8. Games   -   #18
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHeshPants420 View Post
    The AI and atmosphere are some of the best ever in a video game imo.
    Yeah, I second that. You really are never safe in this game which is how you should be feeling. I think this game is great aside from the bugs.

Oh and for people have framerate problems, just turn v sync on and it will be a little smoother. I'm running Stalker at 1600x1200 with everything max (except AA which I don't need) and it's pretty smooth.
    Last edited by silent h3ro; 03-26-2007 at 11:54 PM.

9. Games   -   #19
    iNSOMNiA's Avatar 1/G BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Stalker had some vehicles like cars, trucks and chopper but the staff decided to delete them from the final version.. what a mistake ! .. i stopped playing this game after few days because it takes hours to travel few miles
    Last edited by iNSOMNiA; 03-28-2007 at 12:44 AM.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

10. Games   -   #20
    sauly's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    seems ok but took me a while just to get past the first bit

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast