Thread: Sup guys, quick qestion please...

OK, so I pay for a thundernews account ($20 a month unlimited bandwidth) because my ISP limits me to 2GB of newsgroup D/L's per month.

My question is, is it possible to download even faster? What if I signed up with another usenet service provider similar to thundernews, then added my new server to my usenet client along side the thundernews server. Would I be able to d/l even faster or am I being limited by my actual ISP speed?

Not sure if this question makes any sense or not, I have been up for over 24 hours lol.

Thanks in advance!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Thunder sounds more like pile of crap to me.

What we really need to know is does your ISP newserver limited to 2 gig per month or do they feel they have the god given right to limit you to 2 gig whatever news server you sign up with. If they only limit there own server then you should be free to download full speed from other servers. Check out their TOS.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy72 View Post

What we really need to know is does your ISP newserver limited to 2 gig per month or do they feel they have the god given right to limit you to 2 gig whatever news server you sign up with. If they only limit there own server then you should be free to download full speed from other servers. Check out their TOS.

No, just their servers I think. It's Sprint DSL.
    But when you say other peoples servers, if I use other peoples servers, it's going to cost money, no?
    And thundernews is really cool, I love it.
    I used to have road runner and they had free usenet access with unlimited downloads, but I moved and roadrunner isnt offered here

I get 9 connections, unlimited bandwidth, for $19.99 per month. And I use News Rover as my client. You don't think that's good?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by b34nz View Post

No, just their servers I think. It's Sprint DSL.
    But when you say other peoples servers, if I use other peoples servers, it's going to cost money, no?
    And thundernews is really cool, I love it.
    I used to have road runner and they had free usenet access with unlimited downloads, but I moved and roadrunner isnt offered here

I get 9 connections, unlimited bandwidth, for $19.99 per month. And I use News Rover as my client. You don't think that's good?
    To be honest I don't catch your drift give it and go and see what happens thats what I would do.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    You are limited to your connections speed and your providers speed. Once you reach the limit of your connections speed it would not matter if you have more connections. Say you have 8 connections at 2mbit/s each and your connection is 16mbit. You would not be able to go further than the 16mbit so that would be your max connection speed. If you add another provider all you will be doing is slowing down the other connections.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    newsgroupie
    Just so you understand - the 2 GB/month is the amount your ISP lets you download each month for free from their newsgroup server, which is probably Highwinds or Newshosting or other long-retention carrier (using NZBs) that has much shorter header retention than NZB retention. It may or may not be throttled.

Getting a pay usenet service is totally separate from what your ISP provides, and you should be able to max out your line connection on any pay-server.

[QUOTE=b34nz;1860269]

I get 9 connections, unlimited bandwidth, for $19.99 per month. You don't think that's good?
    Here are some prices of some accounts at various providers - all are $15/month for unlimited service :

UsenetServer www.usenetserver.com - 10 connections, retention: 101 day **free SSL**

NewsHosting www.newshosting.com - 8 connections, retention: 45day headers/100 day NZBs

Astraweb news.astraweb.com 20 - 20 connections, retention: 68 days

Ngroups (Highwinds) www.ngroups.net - 8 connections, retention: 80 days

$15/month seems to be the standard price for unlimited service. Giganews costs more, but they've earned a reputation for top quality service.

Thundernews is a Highwinds reseller that offers live chat support. Unless you feel that having live chat with tech support is worth $5/month extra, I say save your money and get one of the many $15/month unlimited services.