Thread: Windows XP Pirate 2 Legit

slim150's Avatar Poster

Question Mark

Background:

A few years ago I purchased my computer from an small online site that came with version of windows xp. Eventually I had to format my drive and thus lost my copy of windows & it never came with a recovery disk. Being a poor college student I just got a pirated version YARRRRRR

Question:

So I have a pirated version of XP professional SP1 on my system, but I want to put a legit version on it now since I'm tired of not being able to update without fear. Can I just buy XP home upgrade? or XP professional upgrade? Or do I have to get the full version? Thanks!!!
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    If I was a Mod. I'd ban you for a week.

When I read your post I thought you'd have a join date of March 27, 2007.

Make that a month. Yup I'd ban you for a month.

No really. Search. It's all here. Don't pay Bill.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    I wasn't asking how or where to get a working pirated copy of windows. I searched for my problem for a while, but I had to get back on VPN for work after my lunch hour.

The question was, what will happen if I try to install an upgrade of XP home to a pirated XP professional. explosion?

and FYI I am all for big business

edit: additionally I can expense it so its no sweat off my back
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Get a corp. edition, or better yet the very lush Student edition of Win XP from Pisexy..all update flawlessly and without fear.

But to answer your question: I don't know , what do you mean by "upgrade of XP home"? Is this like a downloadable upgrade from MS or what? Anyway if you are intent on buying, then just get an OEM disk of XP Home or Professional then fresh format and reinstall is always the best way for me... I certainly wouldn't just reinstall over my old OS... that would just be sloppy.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers View Post
    Get a corp. edition, or better yet the very lush Student edition of Win XP from Pisexy..all update flawlessly and without fear.

But to answer your question: I don't know , what do you mean by "upgrade of XP home"? Is this like a downloadable upgrade from MS or what? Anyway if you are intent on buying, then just get an OEM disk of XP Home or Professional then fresh format and reinstall is always the best way for me... I certainly wouldn't just reinstall over my old OS... that would just be sloppy.
    Yup. OEM is the way to go.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers View Post

Yup. OEM is the way to go.

About $80.00 CND. A noobie friend of mine keeps checking the install WGA Update , he did n't want to bother me again I guess so he bought one .

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    Thank you colt, I will check into both those options.

Just to clarify, what I meant by upgrade is they sell and upgrade version of windows thats cheaper but you must already have a previous version installed. I was worried that if I bought the upgrade (vs full version) it might say oh the previous version was pirated or say you have xp professional and thus can't "upgrade" to xp home.

But I will check out the full version of some OEM versions (completely forgot about OEM) and look into that other thing.

Thanks for the other posts guys too.

edit: guess pisexy is user capped ATM
    Last edited by slim150; 03-29-2007 at 12:34 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    iKnow BT Rep: +1
    not only Pisexy got student version of xp..I for example got one from demonoid, and its working super, wmp 11 IE7 no problem downloading ne thing from msupdate

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    If you have a win98 cd with key you can install a purchased update version of XP Pro on a clean hard drive. When it prompts you, put in the win98 cd and then when it asks enter the cd key and it will install. Vista will no longer do this so it forces you to install twice to do the same thing once to install xp and then install vista over it (or a vista no key vista key double install).

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    If all you want to do is update try autopatcher

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --