Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    ...what of this situation with the British sailors taken by Iran?

Assuming a scrupulously fair POV would seem to require definitive proof of their position relative to whatever sort of geo-synchronous hardware was aloft to provide this information.

We have, instead, a we say/they say pissing contest.

What now?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    It has happened before. There will be the usual sabre rattling. In the end, hopefully, it will be settled diplomatically.

The whole thing has made me realize that education in my day was not as good as they made it out to be. I never realized that U K national waters bordered on Iranian national waters.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Oh come on Boab, surely in your day they told you that Britannia rules the waves

Personally, I think we should invade. Kidnapping of our military personnel is surely tantamount to declaring war. I wonder if we can count on US support

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Oh come on Boab, surely in your day they told you that Britannia rules the waves

Personally, I think we should invade. Kidnapping of our military personnel is surely tantamount to declaring war. I wonder if we can count on US support
    I'll go.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post

I think today the USA and the UK waives the rules.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqWeNAopFa0[/youtube]

everything's fine, see

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    We say that we were a couple of miles inside Iraqi water they say we were a mile inside their waters. As there is no agreed line for this piece of water this argument could go on for ever.

It seems to me that the Iranians are trying to provoke a dispute - quite successfully imho.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    We say that we were a couple of miles inside Iraqi water they say we were a mile inside their waters. As there is no agreed line for this piece of water this argument could go on for ever.

It seems to me that the Iranians are trying to provoke a dispute - quite successfully imho.
    Or the Iranians are correct and someone else is trying to create an international crisis requiring the invasion of Iran.

In my opinion it is just an advert for Tom-Tom. I hope so.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

Or the Iranians are correct and someone else is trying to create an international crisis requiring the invasion of Iran.

In my opinion it is just an advert for Tom-Tom. I hope so.
    More likely they were using a Tom-Tom and it took them to Iraqi waters via the Tasmanian Sea
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    The waters where this took place is in dispute. Knowing that the Iranians are hotheads leaves a lot of questions to be answered from the Navy.

1. Why were the operations taking place in disputed waters and so close to a disputed 'border'?

2. Why did the operation continue when HMS Cornwall was 'disabled'?

3. What happened to the helicopter gunship that was protecting them?

4. What action is being taken to stop the imminent disappearance of HMS Cornwall's Log book?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast