Thread: is it safe to release movie on torrent sites

mike160's Avatar Old School
    the reason i ask is becaues i have release a couple of movies on different torrent sites and now am thinking if they would to get busted by the fbi or into any legal problem can they also come after the users on that torrent site that were release movies or no

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    STAGUY's Avatar Pizza Lover BT Rep: +3
    I didn't see any problem regarding this issue, most of the torrent trackers don't allow anyone to upload unless he/she is uploader or meets their req so i don't think that would be a problem after all, and for the FB! thing i think they are more interested in the tracker owners not on the users!

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Ac3Dunk's Avatar S.O.P-Laf BT Rep: +5
    If you supplier RIAA or MPAA stuff thats has been out to the scene wait for FBi to knock your door

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    whats RIAA or MPAA

5. BitTorrent   -   #5

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    thanks zalamo

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I dont really think its a major issue.
    If you think about it the stuff users ussually post is out somewhere else
    (Like the SCENE) already anyways.
    The real witchhunt is on the sceners themselves. Not on Joe Shmoe users who post files.
    Stick to uploading on private sites and you should be fine. Just stay away from open sites.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    yea like melvin said theyre goin after the dudes who are uploadin releases a few minutes after pre w/ the 100mbit server boxes, not the casual uploaders
    you've really got nothing to worry about as long as you arent uploading to a RIAA/MPAA fake tracker :p, but nobody would be that dumb *rolleyes*

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Nothing to do with torrents is safe.
    You know that deep down or you wouldn't be asking.

Given, chances are slim you will be sued. But there is still a chance, always. whither it's seeding your own stuff or someone else's.

If the thought of being sued is something that keeps you up at night, I would recommend not uploading anything. There are safer ways to go about things. In my opinion torrents have just become too mainstream and too big of a target. An easy target that was never designed for the purpuses that people are using it for. No security is in the protocol at all.