Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: comcast

DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    hi all! im pretty much new to this so bare with me. i read some where in here that comcast offers newsgroup access. is this true? if so how do i accesses it, what do i need to accesses it. as you can tell im pretty much a n00b when it comes to this

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    If I remember correctly they limit it to 1gb a month though Im not sure.
    If true you may have to look into a paysever if your lookin for more...

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    i heard the same, but i want to use something free 1st b4 i try to tackle this monster.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    It might be up to 2GB now ... You just call the 800 number and the rep gives you your passwords ....

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    chip19's Avatar a chip off ol' death BT Rep: +4
    Comcast is a 2GB/month limit. The quota is reset every 25th of the month. The server is newgroups.comcast.net. The username is the e-mail address of your primary account (the first account you made). So it would be [email protected] as your username for the newgroup. The password is the same as the one you use to sign into Comcast. Good luck.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by chip19 View Post
    Comcast is a 2GB/month limit. The quota is reset every 25th of the month. The server is newgroups.comcast.net. The username is the e-mail address of your primary account (the first account you made). So it would be [email protected] as your username for the newgroup. The password is the same as the one you use to sign into Comcast. Good luck.
    just the info i was looking for tyvm!

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    ne1 kno if comcast is including torrents and other dl's in the quota? I havent used comcast newsgroup thing in like 3 months, but my usage meter says differently

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    deputysalty's Avatar Torrenter BT Rep: +1
    Torrents and other downloading is completely different.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    This is apples and oranges comparison. Torrents are good when you dont have a newsgroup server (namely work, especially if you dont have access to newsgroup server aka cable company), newsgroups are better speed. Sometimes torrents help me know what everyone is downloading, something not possible with newsgroups

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Comcast used to use Giganews, don't know if they do at the present time; with of course the mentioned bytes/month limit, either 1 or 2 or maybe more IF you pay extra for it.

Biggest problem of course with cableco's (and Comcast in particular) is they monitor all internet traffic on their systems, and will pull your account if they either see 'too much' traffic (whatever they deem it at any moment in time; read your subscriber aggreement...!); they have been known to pull folks accounts that exceed 100-200GBytes/month, or even much less for UPLOADS, which they have much less bandwidth allocated in their SHARED system than the DSL folks, which are directly connected to multi-gigabit routers at the CO's.

'Genererally' (but not always) cableco's have more speed in the download direction, but far less in the upload. Where I live I laugh at the Comcast commercials that continually mis-represent DSL, since my line (from Verizon, I also have two other DSL providers in my area as well) is as fast as 'turbo' Comcast speeds d/l'ing and triple Comcast uploading. At, I might add, less than half the cost. And, I run a continuous trasmit audio feed as well, which is prohibited by the Comcast subscriber agreements.

I must say it was only recently that Verizon 'caught up' with speed and pricing, but I had a line from Covad (national DSL provider) before they got their act together. So it pays to investigate the possibilities, not just go with who has more commercials (on tv or the tree's worth of junk mail I get in my mailbox every week).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast