Hey everybody! I need help to set up my home network. I will appreciate it if you can help me out directly. Otherwise, maybe you can direct me to a more specific place/forum. Thanks in advance!
Here are the details:
- W2K laptop (my work laptop, for which I do not have admin rights, and the workgroup is hardcoded)
- W98 desktop (my home PC; I made the workgroup equal to the hardcoded workgroup of the W2K laptop)
- Parallel printer connected to W98 machine (I already selected printer sharing)
- IPs are dynamically assigned by my ISP (I share a T1 Ethernet connection with other units in my building)
- using Linksys 5-port switch workgroup where both machines are connected and share the incoming internet connection.
- in "My Network Places" on the W2K, I can see W98, but I cannot see the C drive or printer.
- in "Network Neighborhood" on the W98, I can only see W98, nothing else.
- In DOS, when I ping W98 from W2K, I get a timeout error.
- In DOS, when I ping W2K from W98, I can see it (but this is not what I want)
I believe it all has to do with the W98 network settings, and I have gone through several combinations of settings unsuccessfully. I'm not familiar with networks, so I am struggling with this stuff.
My purpose: use my W98 home PC as a storage box and also use it to print from either machine. Therefore, I need W2K to see W98 (I do not care if W98 sees W2K).
Is this too complicated, or maybe the level of detail is not enough?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!