Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bible and War

Bible
    Lets look at traditional Christian values that are listed in the bible that most people have forgotten. As an atheist and reading parts of the bible, I found some disturbing and others very good. If someone followed all that was in the book, I don't what kind of person they would be. But, if people followed what was good, then this world be much more open, advanced and just a better place to live.

*for this post's sake I will leave out everything that is wrong with the bible and just put what I found that is good*

• "Honor thy father and thy mother." 20:12
    • "Thou shalt not kill." 20:13
    • "Thou shalt not commit adultery."
    • "Thou shalt not steal."
    • "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." cough...McCarthy...cough
    • Be kind to strangers, widows, and fatherless children. 22:21-22
    • Value the truth; don't lie. 23:1
    • Be kind to your enemies. Do good to those who hate you.
    • Treat the poor fairly.
    • Be honest. Don't kill the innocent.
    • Don't mistreat strangers.
    • What is stolen or wrongfully acquired should be returned to the owner.
    • Don't gossip.
    • Don't hate people.
    • "Love thy neighbor as thyself."
    • Respect your elders.
    • Be kind to strangers.
    • Do not oppress one another
    • "Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof."

those are just some..

War in Iraq

Good:
    • "Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof."
    Bad:
    • Do not oppress one another
    • Don't hate people.
    • "Love thy neighbor as thyself."
    • Be honest. Don't kill the innocent.
    • Don't mistreat strangers.
    • "Thou shalt not kill." 20:13
    • "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour."
    • Value the truth; don't lie.
    The hard-core republicans, who want the ten commandments up in all government buildings, are the ones who support this supposed war on terror and yet it seems as though neither God nor Jesus would support it.

Killing
    Another thing I would like to ask is how the bible can say "thou shalt not kill" and yet support the murder of all gays and other ppl that don't agree with christianity. Jesus was about forgiving, and being kind to your enemies. I just don't understand that... How people can just pick and choose what they want to follow in certain circumstances.

Handicapped and Gays
    • Speak unto Aaron, saying, Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. (21:17)
    • For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous (21:18)
    • Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, (21:19)
    • Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries: for I the LORD do sanctify them. (21:23)

Apperently, God didn't like the handicapped. And God didn't like Gays....

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    I prefer the Tibetan book of the Dead ..why?

It's a guide on what to do, accustoms one to the hallucinations that will occur when one dies. A map so to speak. The Bible is looking for worshippers. Fear of Almighty, angry upper being, is the main factor here.. and the transfering of sin from God to mankind. So much weight rested on mankinds frail back...Be good or else. ..Full of dualistic terms..good, bad..etc.
    When you die, which is what lifes all about ( preparing for it) no-one here on Earth, will be of any use to you anymore... You will be alone. Read once in your life the Tibetan Book of The Dead..that's my advice...just in case.. Best is to "hear" it.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    *for this post's sake I will leave out everything that is wrong with the bible and just put what I found that is good*
    Handicapped and Gays
    Speak unto Aaron, saying, Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. (21:17)
    For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous (21:18)
    Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, (21:19)
    Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries: for I the LORD do sanctify them. (21:23)
    Apperently, God didn't like the handicapped. And God didn't like Gays....
    How's that about gay people, how is it good that you think God doesn't like handicapped people, or gay people.
    Don't you like black people either, racist.
    You do not need to see my I.D.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    I prefer the Tibetan book of the Dead ..why?

It's a guide on what to do, accustoms one to the hallucinations that will occur when one dies. A map so to speak. The Bible is looking for worshippers. Fear of Almighty, angry upper being, is the main factor here.. and the transfering of sin from God to mankind. So much weight rested on mankinds frail back...Be good or else. ..Full of dualistic terms..good, bad..etc.
    When you die, which is what lifes all about ( preparing for it) no-one here on Earth, will be of any use to you anymore... You will be alone. Read once in your life the Tibetan Book of The Dead..that's my advice...just in case.. Best is to "hear" it.
    Bet you stole it from the internets.
    You do not need to see my I.D.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Kev

Stop moving stuff to TDR because you think the topic should be discussed seriously.

Move threads out of sections where they don't belong. ANYTHING belongs in the lounge, if that's where people want it.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Kev

Stop moving stuff to TDR because you think the topic should be discussed seriously.

Move threads out of sections where they don't belong. ANYTHING belongs in the lounge, if that's where people want it.
    I am in consultation with the thread's author on the point.

Don't get your panties in a bunch.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Kev

I am in consultation with the thread's author on the point.

Don't get your panties in a bunch.
    They sell them in bunches in the UK. So my wife tells me.

Back on topic.
    igene@ If you are going to quote passages from the Bible could you post passage numbers for ALL of your quotes. That way I will know if what you are saying is correct or otherwise.
    Last edited by bigboab; 04-06-2007 at 07:05 AM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    I think all Bible threads need to be merged, then moved to the Everything Related forum...and anyway what's good about the "no adultery" commandment.. or will we have to do some jihad somewhere in someone else's private terrortory and wait for the promised 7 virgins...Well I have bad news, for those who wish to continue on this Earthly level in Heaven ( Paradise)... When I lost popped up to see My Father...he was clean out of virgins...
    Last edited by thewizeard; 04-06-2007 at 07:27 AM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    I think all bible threads need to be merged then moved to the everything related forum...
    Most people take their religion seriously. With that in mind Members and Mods should keep a close watch on where such threads are posted in case someone is offended by replies.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Yes, and I shall have to step carefully here too. The Man Utd. is also such a thread.
    I am serious though about that comment about the 7 virgins... so insulting. Possibly suggesting, you wont find one virgin here on Earth, but don't worry, you will get 7 in Heaven as compensation.. just go and kill a few random innocent people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast