Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which surge protector do you use?

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gam3Guy View Post
    If you guys are actually serious about your computers then buy a battery backup (UPS) for your PC. If your PC gets surged once while plugged into the surge protector then it's fine but the plug is no longer secure. Surge protectors only last one surge per socket. If your computer suffers a surge or two with out a surge protector or battery, then it's fucked
    Sorry, that's simply not true.

Imagine for a second that it were true. Is there any indicator that there's been a surge? No, so anyone who suffered from a second surge would almost certainly have damaged equipment and could immediately make a claim from the manufacturers. It doesn't happen otherwise the makers would be out of business.

You are probably thinking about the early lightning arresters - they were one time use devices, but they also behaved like a fuse so that after being tripped even the normal current did not pass through.
    I read that surge protectors DO stop working after a couple of surges.
    Once it's fried it keeps passing power through but won't offer any protection.
    That's why you want one with a light on it...if the light doesn't light-up then the surge protection is gone.

That could be complete bullshit though, i read it on howstuffworks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    Btw, Monster is over priced, IMHO.
    Everything that hold the "Monster" name is ridiculously priced, I know. I was running a cheapy like ten dollar surge protector and though I'd upgrade. It was either the monster or something by "APC".
    APC is generally pretty good stuff.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post

Imagine for a second that it were true. Is there any indicator that there's been a surge? No, so anyone who suffered from a second surge would almost certainly have damaged equipment and could immediately make a claim from the manufacturers. It doesn't happen otherwise the makers would be out of business.

You are probably thinking about the early lightning arresters - they were one time use devices, but they also behaved like a fuse so that after being tripped even the normal current did not pass through.
    I read that surge protectors DO stop working after a couple of surges.
    Once it's fried it keeps passing power through but won't offer any protection.
    That's why you want one with a light on it...if the light doesn't light-up then the surge protection is gone.

That could be complete bullshit though, i read it on howstuffworks.
    It is true that poor quality MOVs can burn out after a few surges, but ones with reasonable quality should not suffer like that, and a good surge protector wouldn't use MOVs at all. In addition, there's no way to tell with any degree of certainty whether they've burnt out by using an indicator light, despite claims to the contrary.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    The proper way to guard against surges are whole house protectors and individual protectors.

Also makes sure you have surge protector and not simply a power strip.

A whole house protector may cost you $200 installed.
    This is recommended for all electronics. No surge protector and you may find that TV that was supposed to last 10 years may only last 4.

A direct lightning strike and you are fucked anyway.

It's also a good idea to unplug important/expensive electronics during a power outage.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    If you guys are actually serious about your computers then buy a battery backup (UPS) for your PC. If your PC gets surged once while plugged into the surge protector then it's fine but the plug is no longer secure. Surge protectors only last one surge per socket. If your computer suffers a surge or two with out a surge protector or battery, then it's fucked

My dad is owns his own business as an electrician so thats how I know that he is right...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    tesco's Avatar woowoo

My dad is owns his own business as an electrician so thats how I know that he is right...
    Well the 'one surge per socket' part is wrong for sure... The 'MOVs' pass excess power from the hot to the ground wire, nothing to do with the socket. Once the MOVs fry they won't protect anymore.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Roxxy's Avatar Hot to Trot BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    A good surge protector can keep your computer safe during a thunderstorm, I like to unplug mine. If the thing isn't plugged into the wall, it's kind of hard for a spike or surge to get through.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Well the 'one surge per socket' part is wrong for sure... The 'MOVs' pass excess power from the hot to the ground wire, nothing to do with the socket. Once the MOVs fry they won't protect anymore.
    Well thats what I can remember from what he told me so I could have understood him wrong but I guess that makes sense.

@ Roxxy - Yep, that's true.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Some sales dude talked my dad into buying a 60$ surge protector that goes up to like 5000 jules or something last time I bought a desktop in store back in 99' when I was 13 or 14... I both regret and laugh at it now.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    I have this APC Back-Ups Office that I bought for my first system in '97...its got a battery in it...I assume its still charged...

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast