Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copyright Infringement

TheBarbarian
    My neice received The folowing notice when she connected with Kazaa:

COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT WARNING:
    It appears that you are offering copyrighted music to others from your computer. Distributing or downloading copyrighted music on the Internet without permission from the copyright owner is ILLEGAL. It hurts songwriters who create and musicians who perform the music you love, and all the other people who bring you music.

When you break the law, you risk legal penalties. There is a simple way to avoid that risk: DON'T STEAL MUSIC, either by offering it to others to copy or downloading it on a "file-sharing" system like this.

When you offer music on these systems, you are not anonymous and you can easily be identified. You also may have unlocked and exposed your computer and your private files to anyone on the Internet. Don't take these chances. Disable the share feature or uninstall your "file-sharing" software. For more information on how, go to http://www.musicunited.net/5_takeoff.html.

This warning comes from artists, songwriters, musicians, music publishers, record labels and hundreds of thousands of people who work at creating and distributing the music you enjoy. We are unable to receive direct replies to this message. For more information about this Copyright Warning, go to www.musicunited.net.

She didn't say who sent the warning was from. She doen't download movies, just music. Anyone ekse get this, or know anything about it? If co, please e-mail me at [email protected] . Thanks.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    that's courtesy of the riaa- i wouldn't go to the above mentioned website

[from peerguardian:
    Connection forcefully closed on: 66.113.130.207 - RIAA (Hostway Corp)]

they started this "campaign" about a month ago

Posted - 04/29/2003 : 3:39:54 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sue Zeidler

The record industry opened a new front in its war against online piracy on Tuesday by surprising hundreds of thousands of Internet song swappers with an instant message warning that they could be "easily" identified and face "legal penalties."

About 200,000 users of the Grokster and Kazaa file-sharing services received the warning notice on Tuesday and at least one million will be getting the message within a week, according to music industry officials.

The copyright infringement warnings, which were sent by the Recording Industry Association of America, on behalf of the major record labels, said in part:

"It appears that you are offering copyrighted music to others from your computer. ...When you break the law, you risk legal penalties. There is a simple way to avoid that risk: DON'T STEAL MUSIC, either by offering it to others to copy or downloading it on a 'file-sharing' system like this. When you offer music on these systems, you are not anonymous and you can easily be identified."

The music industry's campaign for the hearts and minds of Internet song swappers comes four days after a federal judge threw an unexpected roadblock to its efforts to shut down song-swapping services in court.

U.S. District Court Judge Stephen Wilson on Friday ruled that the Grokster and Morpheus services should not be shut down because they cannot control what is traded over their systems. Like a videocassette recorder, the software in question could be used for legitimate purposes as well as illicit ones, he said.

"We're expecting to send at least a million messages or more per week because these users are offering to distribute music on Kazaa or Grokster," said Cary Sherman, president of the RIAA.

Sherman described the move as an educational effort to inform users that offering copyrighted music on peer-to-peer networks is illegal and that they face consequences when they participate in this illegal activity.

the original link doesn't appear to be working but it was straight from reuters
    http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;j...storyID=2652934

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    BANNED
    Why Don't thjey tell us something we dont know

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Double Agent
    If you are smart about it u would do the following: go to options->kazaalite options->messages->click "ignore all incoming messages"

Trust me, it'll make your life a lot easier

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    GET A DECENT FIREWALL LIKE NORTON 2003, BLACKICE or something similar that hides your IP address.

IF someone knows of a better prog please post it on here.

ZONEALARM is Basic, that is why all the companies recommend it, because they know where the holes are!

A recent similar mail was received by NTL users ref Harry Potter audio books. It is reported on NTL's website that people receving this mail should delete it as it is SPAM. It originated from Amsterdam. If you know any good DofS sites I send you the IP address.

DRACULA

Not quite abloodsucker as I am sharing files & its is not junk. 80gb worth of MP3 & AVI. But do not try searching my site as you will not get in. If the file you want is available great.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    GET A DECENT FIREWALL LIKE NORTON 2003, BLACKICE or something similar that hides your IP address.
    You can't hide your IP address when using kazaa

ZONEALARM is Basic, that is why all the companies recommend it, because they know where the holes are!
    Zone alarm beats Blackice hands down. Read This near the bottom if you can't be bothered to read the whole page.

Not quite abloodsucker as I am sharing files & its is not junk. 80gb worth of MP3 & AVI. But do not try searching my site as you will not get in. If the file you want is available great.
    wtf???

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    I would never turn off incoming messages some of them are very funny.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Longdong@31 May 2003 - 08:31
    You can't hide your IP address when using kazaa
    You can't hide your ip, but with Peer Guardian and many firewalls (Zone Alarm Pro for instance) you can prevent connections being made to/from these 'badguys'...

And you can even get logged info about WHEN they tried to connect.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by shn@31 May 2003 - 02:05
    Fuck the riaa!
    You wouldn't tell a cop that, would you? You know you are helpless against the law, and the law is what controls you. nothing else. amen.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    First of all I would like to confirm that there is no way to "hide" your IP address.
    Second of all I would like to say that GRC sucks. www.grcsucks.com
    Thirdly I would like to give my 2 cents on how I would personally configure my comptuer and my kazaa lite.

First configuration element: Kazaa Lite itself.
    Get Kazaa Lite K++ 2.1e Build3.
    Most importantly you MUST go into the settings an ENABLE the "Option to prevent people from being able to see a list of all of your shared files." This will prevent people like RIAA and the MPAA from being able to determine that you are in fact sharing any files.
    Secondly: A firewall.
    I personally use the Kerio Personal Firewall because it is the most configurable windows personal firewall on the market that is free for personal use. I must warn everyone that this firewall does DEMAND that you know what you are doing with TCP/IP networking. It is not some child's firewall like blackice, norton, ZA, sygate, ect... that you just install and assume you are protected. RTFM on kerio, no joke. In this firewall you make the application based firewall rulebase. I personally choose to DENY all incoming to the kazaa lite application from any external IP and port to any local port. I also choose to ALLOW my kazaa lite application to send information form any local port to any IP and any external port. The main reason that I choose to do this is because you would hide your kazaa server on port 1214, you would prevent any queries to your kazaa but you would also still be able to uploads. Youall are smart people, you can figure out the rest of the rulebase ;-).
    mliesenf at ufl.edu, mliesenf on aim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast