Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Religion & signatures...

Gornar's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +2
    I don't know if it's the appropriate place to talk about that, but look at that user's signature: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/members/0110-148448

Now I believe this is going too far, and I'm sure you guys will agree that it should be removed (at least...if not the user banned).

I've seen plenty of people around here (or at least in the BT invite section) with religious "propaganda" in their signature, and I think this shouldn't be allowed. Sure, we may talk about relion or politics on other topics, but all these religious "ads" are starting to annoy me.
    Be it jewish, catholic, muslim,... it annoys me and I don't think allowing that shit in signatures is doing any good.

We are here to talk about file sharing first...

What do you guys think?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I'm not here to talk about filesharing whatsoever but if a signature offends you, by all means report the user in the report section but the chap is only exercising his interweb right to free speech and there is an option for you to put him on ignore if the statement truly makes for uncomfortable reading.

I, myself, am tempted to report the user for flagrant use of two languages in a single statement.

How rude.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Yeah, but he spelt it "oLd SKooL", that means he' is old. Thus making him slightly senile, so no-one would take much notice anyway. Unless she/he's a fundamentalist. They are the worst. But i think there's a clause in the "terms and conditions" when you join that bans fundamentalists?

Seriously, everyone has an opinion. Some stronger than others. Granted,there are things i don't want to see, such as this signature. I don't like the "Jihad" member name either, or anything that pokes a cross at me. But, some might find my flag a sign of communism and evil also. I live here, i don't support communism.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    Just because he says "Hell to israil", doesnt neccesairly refer to jewish people in general. He could be reffering to zionism, period.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=zionist
    A racist individual who uses Judaism and his/her goal in supporting Israel as an excuse to occupy, control, and subdue an entire group of people. Zionists do not believe in the true teachings of Judaism, rather they abuse it much like Bin Laden abuses the Muslim religion. They believe the Jewish race is a superior race, and that every other race/people should serve them.
    What's next... saying "Hell to England", is insulting the people who follow the Anglican religion?
    Last edited by Formula1; 04-05-2007 at 11:45 AM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Formula1 View Post
    Just because he says "Hell to israil", doesnt neccesairly refer to jewish people in general. He could be reffering to zionism, period.

What's next... saying "Hell to England", is insulting the people who follow the Anglican religion?
    Ok, so he might not refer to jewish people, only to Israel.

Maybe I should put a burning american flag in my signature with something along the lines of "death to americans" or "I'm glad for 9/11"

Or that's perfectly fine as well?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    I can remember two previous instances of offense being taken over signatures/avatars.

1). We had a big discussion once about the use of swastikas, and it was deemed that they are inappropriate to use in avatars and signatures.

2). Rat Faced (I think it was) had to change his signature once because of complaints that it contained an image of a US flag being burned.

I would say that the signature image in question breaks at least 2 of the board rules (regarding inflammatory sig content, and offensive imagery) and so will be removed, and a warning given.

If you know of any more signatures they you feel are offensive/inflammatory, please bring them to the attention of the team via the gift of the Report Section.

They will of course be dealt with on a case by case basis.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    there is an option for you to put him on ignore if the statement truly makes for uncomfortable reading.
    I'm not really offended, I'm not Israeli nor jew... in fact I don't even like Israel.
    Thing is, other people might be offended.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Gornar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    there is an option for you to put him on ignore if the statement truly makes for uncomfortable reading.
    I'm not really offended, I'm not Israeli nor jew... in fact I don't even like Israel.
    Thing is, other people might be offended.
    Okaaaaaay,

I've been proceeding under the assumption that you were offended.

If you are not offended then why have you brought this up? If other people are offended then I'm sure they can speak up for themselves.

I've now warned a user and changed their sig for no good reason, other than for possibly offending some people maybe.

My advice to you in the future is, if you yourself are offended, then report someone. If you are not offended, then leave well alone.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    I would say that the signature image in question breaks at least 2 of the board rules (regarding inflammatory sig content, and offensive imagery) and so will be removed, and a warning given.

If you know of any more signatures they you feel are offensive/inflammatory, please bring them to the attention of the team via the gift of the Report Section.

They will of course be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Well done. Can i say though, i always find your picture scary and intimidating. Could you change it to something a bit more....placid or peaceful?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Indeed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast