Thread: PS3 Sales Plummet 82%

popopot's Avatar To Me, To You BT Rep: +5
    From: http://uk.gizmodo.com/2007/04/05/ps3...lummet_82.html

Just a week on from breaking console sales records in the UK, sales of the PS3 have plummeted by 82%. Now, while I would expect a marked drop-off after the initial flurry of sales activity from the eager beavers, I think an 82% fall-off is a bit on the high side.

Recently, it was all champagne as Sony claimed that it had flogged a very impressive 165,000 units in the UK in just two days. Chart Track has now confirmed the nosedive but it’s probably too early to write the PS3 off. Sony's not commenting.

Still, if you look at the sales of its top titles MotorStorm and Resistance: Fall of Man, they’ve dropped by an alarming 60% too. Add this to the PS3 being owned in both Japan and the US by Nintendo’s Wii and you’d have to say that Sony’s going to have to work very hard to make the PS3 the next console king.

2. Games   -   #2
    shosh's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    is it possible that the drop-off was because of decreased availability of the console after the initial launch?

3. Games   -   #3
    mrmongno2's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    could be, but the same could be said about the wii and that didn't fall this much.

4. Games   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmongno2 View Post
    could be, but the same could be said about the wii and that didn't fall this much.
    Nintendo are doing great: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6528533.stm. Wii-ing all over the competition you could say (do you see what I did there, wii-ing, as in....oh forget it!)

5. Games   -   #5
    shosh's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    well they can make the wii really easily. i have a wii but i dont really like it anymore. ill keep it around in case of some good games (i really love party games) but im seeing if the 360 or the ps3 will have the better games and waiting for that price drop.

6. Games   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by shosh View Post
    waiting for that price drop.
    I am waiting for the mod-chip(s)!

7. Games   -   #7
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by popopot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shosh View Post
    waiting for that price drop.
    I am waiting for the mod-chip(s)!
    It would not be good for Sony if mod chips get released then they will really start loosing some money. Their PSP is already fucked for the most part because of how easy it is to run pirated games and because those memory sticks are so damn cheap now. Of coarse, not every body knows how to mod or pirate their PS3s or PSPs...

Of coarse Nintendo is doing good not just because the Wii was such a popular idea at a cheap price, but just think about who they are selling them to - younger aged and older aged people who are not very serious about gaming, generally. I don't think a 12 year old or a 70 year old even knows what a mod chip is. They are profiting off of their consoles AND games.
    Last edited by silent h3ro; 04-05-2007 at 11:21 PM.

8. Games   -   #8
    Their PSP is already fucked for the most part because of how easy it is to run pirated games and because those memory sticks are so damn cheap now. Of coarse, not every body knows how to mod or pirate their PS3s or PSPs...
    Not agree, partially

many folks like me bought a PSP since the homebrew scene made big steps foward.. Perfect psx emulation, retro systems, Pc portage, E-learning tools, etc.. The PSP (hardware) certandly sell a bit more with the help of the other-side homebrew devellopement community.

I agree that Sony is loosing alot of money (software based) on pirated game isos. But the biggest reason why the PSP isin't selling well, is that the PSP don't have enoug good titles!.. even have one must have game? so far,

personaly, ..no

9. Games   -   #9
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by Melchior00 View Post
    Their PSP is already fucked for the most part because of how easy it is to run pirated games and because those memory sticks are so damn cheap now. Of coarse, not every body knows how to mod or pirate their PS3s or PSPs...
    Not agree, partially

many folks like me bought a PSP since the homebrew scene made big steps foward.. Perfect psx emulation, retro systems, Pc portage, E-learning tools, etc.. The PSP (hardware) certandly sell a bit more with the help of the other-side homebrew devellopement community.

I agree that Sony is loosing alot of money (software based) on pirated game isos. But the biggest reason why the PSP isin't selling well, is that the PSP don't have enoug good titles!.. even have one must have game? so far,

personaly, ..no
    Sony made perfect PSX emulation themselves in their firmware - it wasn't homebrew.

The point I was trying to make is that they aren't making good titles because developers are discouraged to make games for the PSP because it is hard for them to profit with all the "hackers" and custom firmware users. They profit off of their software, not hardware.

10. Games   -   #10
    funkyone
    i was working in the electronics department of toys r us last 5 months. we sold more gamecubes than ps3s and we had them constantly stocked pretty much. always the 60gb version. never had any 20s. sony fucked up when they released something that cost 600 dollars and had glitches in it. goodluck to sony.