Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thread closing

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    It appears to have become the norm that if a thread starter requests the thread be closed it is done.

Is that board policy here, irrespective of whether other people are carrying on a discussion.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Its nothing new tho JP , I could see if a problem was solved in software and the thread starter asked it to be closed . Its up to the mods tho not the poster I would think . I'v asked for threads to be closed that fell on deaf ears and probably for the better . Do you have a link, my Zorro senses are tingling .

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    It's something I'm not entirely clear on. I can understand how, if a thread gets out of hand then someone (anyone) may ask for it to be locked. Mods will then decide if closure is appropriate.

It appears however to be the current feeling that if the thread starter asks for it to be closed then it's a given it will be, no matter that people may be continuing the discussion. My view is more that once you start it everyone owns it. The starter has no more claim over it than anyone else.

The one that made me ask is in The Drawing Room, however it's a more general question than that. I just wondered if there was a policy.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    I think I know what you mean JP , as I'v seen myself and wondered why I could n't add to the discussion better or worse . If the board allows a thread two years old to be resurrected why close a thread .

Some are funny and if no personal attacks why not just leave open warts and all .

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    It just seems to me that people can be having a discussion and someone else can say, "Right, that's enough, stop now". Which just seems wrong.

I'd rather that mods considered it and decided whether a rule or rules were broken. To me that's the only proper reason for finishing a discussion.

Or they may decide that it was a good going thread, but that someone got out of hand, then give them a wee warning (or big one if appropriate).

Closing threads is much better than deleting them. However it still isn't ideal when there haven't really been any infractions.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    I see what you mean JP , I did n't read it all but seems like the O.P. got his ass kicked in a game of wits and wimped out ?

I'm surprised a mod has not posted his or her opinion on closing threads . I'm home today so have too much time on my hands .

Has a mod every reopened a closed thread ? I'd pm the mod and ask .

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    It's not really that one specifically, that just got me to thinking.

Barbie seemed reticent about closing it. However if there's a policy on that then he had no choice.

Just thought I would bring the subject up as a discussion point. As it's about the board this seemed the best place.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    The way I handle it is that I ask for a reason for it being closed, same for the original thread starter and for anyone else.
    I only close if there's a proper reason.

A thread going off from the discussion the poster intended will sometimes be closed, depends on t he situation and how far off it got.

There's been many times when I've said No about closing a thread to the thread starter.

I'm pretty sure most other mods here handle it the same way...

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    Cheers, Ross.

That makes sence to me.

Please feel free to close this thread, now that has been cleared up. It can serve no further useful purpose.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    So JP , its ok to close now ? Just kidding tho make Ross ,think a bit ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast