Here is a guide to avi files
It seems to me every week somone posts a topic on avi compression and asks what to do so here ya all go, hopefully it can be kept within the first page to stop the same questions.
1) get virtual dub Virtauldub homepage
2) Now get the k-lite codec pack or the nemo codec pack that can be found here nemo codec pack if the link dont work seach for it you're all quite capable.
3) install both
4) select the file u want to compress in virtaul dub (easy isnt it )
5) select video
6) full processing mode
7) now compression select the codec u wish to use, divx is a good starters codec and xvid for those who have a little more experience as it can be a little tempremental, just find a stable version and your laughing
8) select the birate u want, 2000 is usually good but u can have whatever u want depending on the size of file u want (lower is smaller but worse quality) note; use a birate calculator if u want to know the exeact size of the file
9) select audio
10) select full processing mode (sound farmiliar???)
11) Now compression
12) choose mpeg layer 3 or lame acm
13) select the birate (128 - 160 shound be fine) Remember to choose the right type 44,000Hz or 41,000 Hz or it wont work
14) once that is done select save avi file and wait while it encodes
15) optional step; click save template, now when u open virtauldub to do this again it will load the settings u have now it will save time if your doing it alot
Get your self isobuster isobuster page
(Note this will also work with cd image files if they are mounted)
1) Put the cd in or mount the image
2) Open iso buster and select the cd drive
3) go the largest folder, (the one with mpeg on it) i think u will find it, the file should be a dat fileand about 600megs
4) right click and select save mpeg2 files and save it with <name>.mpeg (thats very important or you will get a nice useless dat file !!!
5) i assume u have a mpeg 2 codec if not the k-lite pack has one u need th full pack tho!
6) open the file in TMPEGnc and encode to mpeg i will asume u all know how cos this is an avi guide
7) if it says it's not a supported format open the file in media player pause it then try in TMPEGnc then it should work
8) wait about 2hours and u should have a nice normal mpeg to play with then follow the first guide about compression just open it in virtaul dub
That should be all u need to know
Pm me for any probs u have and i'll try to sort em out for ya