Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: World's Most Dominant Sportsman

Originally posted by newbie, newbie, newbie@1 June 2003 - 22:30

erm....great list. wrestling is staged though. you know that surely?

so the winner isn't determined by sporting prowess, it's by the organisers who decide to rig it.

wrestling is ok to watch for laughs or whatever, but a sport?

edit: spelling
    True, true!

Ok, I would have to say the single most dominating sportsman in my mind would be with no doubt Gerry Lopez!
    Gerry Lopez has won a shed full of surf championships including World and Pipemasters.He is also the man who made Pipeline famouse and was a revolushanist in the sport, developing new boards and techniques and styles of surfing. He has discovered numorouse New surf spots on Islands throughout the world and is a true Icon respected by everyone in the sport the world over, he competed in world class tournaments from the early 60's to the mid 90's and still has a hand in the workings now!
    So, if Gerry Lopez is not a dominating sportsman then I don't know who is!

Jonno B)
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Poster
    Originally posted by soopaman@1 June 2003 - 23:51
    Phil "The Power" Taylor is THE MAN when it comes to Darts, no-one else comes close.

Joe Davis, World Billiards Champion for years and years. My old fella used to tell me about him, apparently had a break that lasted days!!

Michael Jordan - Surely!!

Michael Schumacher - Definately.

Tiger Woods - Undecided yet but who knows what the future holds?

As for UFC/Pride KAZUSHI SAKURABA (The Gracie Hunter) is THE MAN!!!

Good topic JPaul.
    Nice One

I fully expect Tiger Woods to be The One, in the fullness of time.

He has already done the (nearly) Grand Slam and dominates his sport. The only thing stopping him is that he really has to do it over a protracted period, in order to be considered the most dominant sportsman.

As my learned friend intimated earlier, maybe everybody else just isn't very good.

I am sure he will dominate golf and that he is the "Once and Future King" just not yet.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Poster
    Originally posted by CELEBS_ARE_US+1 June 2003 - 23:57--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CELEBS_ARE_US @ 1 June 2003 - 23:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--newbie@ newbie, newbie,1 June 2003 - 22:30

erm....great list. wrestling is staged though. you know that surely?

so the winner isn&#39;t determined by sporting prowess, it&#39;s by the organisers who decide to rig it.

wrestling is ok to watch for laughs or whatever, but a sport?

edit: spelling
    True, true&#33;

Ok, I would have to say the single most dominating sportsman in my mind would be with no doubt Gerry Lopez&#33;
    Gerry Lopez has won a shed full of surf championships including World and Pipemasters.He is also the man who made Pipeline famouse and was a revolushanist in the sport, developing new boards and techniques and styles of surfing. He has discovered numorouse New surf spots on Islands throughout the world and is a true Icon respected by everyone in the sport the world over, he competed in world class tournaments from the early 60&#39;s to the mid 90&#39;s and still has a hand in the workings now&#33;
    So, if Gerry Lopez is not a dominating sportsman then I don&#39;t know who is&#33;

Jonno B) [/b][/quote]
    New candidate, excellent.

Can you outline his credentials / achievements my duplicitous friend.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Yeah, Tiger could well be "The One" (Topical ) but as you say it has to be over an extended period of time. I hope it&#39;s not a case of "the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long". In Golf, especially, a protracted period at the very top is needed to be labelled truly great. We haven&#39;t even touched on Boxing&#33;&#33; My votes would be for Thomas "Hitman" Hearns, Roy Jones Jr and "Sugar" Ray Robinson. All Multi-Weight, Multi-Division Champions&#33;&#33; And ALL proof that a boxer will beat a brawler 9 times out of 10. Let&#39;s keep this discussion going&#33;&#33;

Signature removed

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Poster
    Originally posted by soopaman@2 June 2003 - 00:08
    Yeah, Tiger could well be "The One" (Topical ) but as you say it has to be over an extended period of time. I hope it&#39;s not a case of "the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long". In Golf, especially, a protracted period at the very top is needed to be labelled truly great. We haven&#39;t even touched on Boxing&#33;&#33; My votes would be for Thomas "Hitman" Hearns, Roy Jones Jr and "Sugar" Ray Robinson. All Multi-Weight, Multi-Division Champions&#33;&#33; And ALL proof that a boxer will beat a brawler 9 times out of 10. Let&#39;s keep this discussion going&#33;&#33;

Can I start by first paying homage to your candle quote and adding :

"I&#39;ve seen things you people wouldn&#39;t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

I believe the replicant to which your quote refers said that.

I see what you mean about Tommy Hearns. However my particular fave was Sugar Ray Leonard. I know this won&#39;t be popular but, pound for pound, I think he was the greatest boxer of his generation. He beat Hearns, Durant and Hagler. Apologies for spelling, je suis aves le pomme.

I think the greatest pond for pound fighter ever was Royce Gracie.

However fighters can&#39;t win this. They just aren&#39;t around long enough.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    lennox lewis is a very good boxer. he managed to beat tyson, but he&#39;s not dominated the sport yet. might do in the future, but he&#39;s getting on a bit now

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Poster
    Originally posted by Bender@2 June 2003 - 00:16
    Looking at what he did to his old lady, I think O.J. Simpson is still the world&#39;s most dominant sportsman.
    You&#39;ve taken that too far.

Can I ask you, as a mod, to delete your own post.

On the basis of extremelly poor taste.

This is the lounge but we do have our limits

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Originally posted by JPaul@1 June 2003 - 23:01

Apart from what I&#39;ve already said

He won State of Hawaii junior surfing champion at the age of 14
    4 time world champion
    Master of Pipeline award in 1972
    Pipe master 2 time winner
    CloudBreak Challenge Winner
    Waterman of the Year award 1999

Plus a few I could&#39;nt find&#33; Sorry&#33;

But I still say even without the titles, just his input to the sport would be enough&#33;

Although most of you have not heard of him, I think he qualifies&#33;

Jonno B)
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Poster
    Originally posted by CELEBS_ARE_US+2 June 2003 - 00:22--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CELEBS_ARE_US @ 2 June 2003 - 00:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JPaul@1 June 2003 - 23:01

Apart from what I&#39;ve already said

He won State of Hawaii junior surfing champion at the age of 14
    4 time world champion
    Master of Pipeline award in 1972
    Pipe master 2 time winner
    CloudBreak Challenge Winner
    Waterman of the Year award 1999

Plus a few I could&#39;nt find&#33; Sorry&#33;

But I still say even without the titles, just his input to the sport would be enough&#33;

Although most of you have not heard of him, I think he qualifies&#33;

Jonno B) [/b][/quote]
    Fame isn&#39;t the point oh two headed one. It&#39;s dominance.

If he has only been world champion four times then he is at best an also ran.

Steve Davis was World Snooker champion 6 (I think) times. He also won numerous ranking tournaments and was world number 1 for many years.

You will have to do better.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Okay, Gerry Lopez is in. What about Kelly Slater?? He&#39;s been at the top for ages too. My knowledge of surfing isn&#39;t up to much though so I could be wrong.

Didn&#39;t all the boxers you mentioned, JPaul, beat each other over a period of many years?? Hearns win over Duran in Las Vegas (2nd Round Knockout) was surely the most impressive. Duran had never been knocked out before&#33;&#33; EVER&#33;&#33;

Sakuraba OWNED Royce Gracie, Gracie threw in the towel after a tremendous beating from the flamboyant Japanese fighter. Shame injuries have taken there toll on Sakuraba.

I wasn&#39;t actually thinking of Blade Runner, my Grandmother used to say it to me when I was a nipper&#33;&#33;

What about Rodney Mullen?? He is still one of the best street skaters around. His videos with Daewon Song are fucking brilliant&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Signature removed

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast