Thread: need help with giganews download speed

mike160's Avatar Old School
    hi,
    i have to say that giganews has been the best newsgroup server that i have ever used i love that they have a 100 days retention which others dont offer i have been useing them for about 7 months but for the last month now my downloads have gone downhill for me i have been downloading at 35KB or sometimes at 40KB and i have a 5MB connection so i should be downloading faster then this at around 611KB thats the speed that i was downloading befor useing giganews i have never had a problem with them up to now just wanted to see if anyone has ever had this problem with them or that is haveing this problem with them know how can this be fix
    Last edited by mike160; 04-10-2007 at 07:43 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    I had bad speeds a couple of weeks ago, mailed Giganews and got an answer 10 minutes later that my ISP got a problem somewhere. It was fixed after 30 minutes or so.

Just mail them and ask, you never know what they know

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    You don't mention what ISP you're using; many cablecos like to 'play around' with squeezing throughput on port 119, in particular. Multiforce is right though, if you're getting your # of connects okay (10+ with GN, depending on your 'plan'), then I'd give them a shout, but cablecos are particularly bad on maintaining bandwidth, as the bits you're using are also being used for 'on-demand' video, ppv, and other more revenue generation 'services' than internet.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    mike160's Avatar Old School
    thanks everyone i found out why my speeds were so bad when downloading useing giganews it was that i was also runing utorrent and peerguardian and the same time that i was runing my newsleecher and that why my download speeds were so slow speeds are at 607KB now
    Last edited by mike160; 04-16-2007 at 02:16 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    opps