Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pointless Topics and Useless Replies

I haven't been here too long, as you can see, but long enough to come to the opinion that FST could really benefit from more stringent moderation. I would mostly browse the BitTorrent forums, and while these forums are an incredibly useful resource and have been very helpful to me, to be quite honest there is an awful lot of rubbish posted in them.

The first problem is the endless amounts of Best/Worst/Top 10/Favourite threads, which I can clearly see have all been done to death many times. They all inevitably end up in a nauseating avalanche of one-word, repetitive posts which offer nothing of value, and only serve to clog up the thread and make it impossible to have any genuine discussion.

Case in point: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/bitto...-series-103132
    As you can see, this thread quickly descends into a mess of one line posts repeating the same thing and adding absolutely nothing. Hard to read isn't it?

Here's another which happened to be on the first page of threads when I looked: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/bitto...rackers-171491
    This kind of thread is doomed from the start, and is a perfect example of why they should be banned completely. There was never a chance of any meaningful discussion, just countless posters chiming in with their own top 3. Really what is the point?

These rubbish posts can also be seen in other threads, like people saying "Good luck", or "Good offer", and contributing nothing useful. This is even more frustrating because it can ruin a good thread.

What I'd like to see happen is the mods cracking down on this type of behavior, as I think it is a big problem at the moment, and to get rid of it would be of huge benefit to the community.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Good luck.

I agree to an extent.

There is soooo much traffic in the BT section that it's difficult to view or moderate every thread and every post.

I do however delete every post I see that consists of nothing more than "Good luck", "Good offer", or "thxxxxx". Often times I'll see that the same member has made this statement more than one time in the same thread.

I was made aware (by another concerned member) of how the WIAW thread going to the crapper, so I made this post, though now it buried in a sea of even more fluff.

With so many new members as well, it's hard to keep everyone knowledgeable of the rules.

I've thought many times that the BT section could support it's own subforum. I think it should certainly be considered. While that would not improve the quality of postings, there could be sections for topics such as WIAW that would be similar to the Drawing Room, where off-topic and fluff aren't allowed.
    Last edited by Skizo; 04-10-2007 at 12:14 PM.

yo

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    I agree. The bittorrent section moderators are really quite slack, and need to smarten up a bit

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    The best thing to do would be to close down the Bittorrent section tbh, trading accounts and invites is wrong. The idiots it attracts to the board are even wronger. Bittorrent mods are completely wrongerer.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    been complained before but what to do these Bt invite hunters must gain their post counts from somewhere.
    my own opinion is they should make a separate forum were they can post these nonsense instead of garbaging useful threads.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    The best thing to do would be to close down the Bittorrent section tbh, trading accounts and invites is wrong. The idiots it attracts to the board are even wronger. Bittorrent mods are completely wrongerer.
    Never said this before.

I agree with the cheese.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    knight76's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Why not set the post count to 50 or 100 to gain access to the invite section. That and make the length of time before gaining access 3 months. The main point of this site is to encourage discussion on file sharing, not encourage invite beggers to get ten posts up over a month.

That would put off anybody just joining to throw a few quick mesages up and wait the month out to be for oink invites.

Having said that I am looking forward to getting into the invites section but I can wait if this rule is changed before starting my begging barrage

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by knight76 View Post
    Why not set the post count to 50 or 100 to gain access to the invite section. That and make the length of time before gaining access 3 months. The main point of this site is to encourage discussion on file sharing, not encourage invite beggers to get ten posts up over a month.

That would put off anybody just joining to throw a few quick mesages up and wait the month out to be for oink invites.
    Because sadly, it does not encourage discussion on file sharing, etc. It only encourages more spam.

The post count is set at 10 right now, because when it was at 20, the noob spam around the forum was well, twice what it is now.

yo

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I haven't been here too long, as you can see, but long enough to come to the opinion that FST could really benefit from more stringent moderation. I would mostly browse the BitTorrent forums, and while these forums are an incredibly useful resource and have been very helpful to me, to be quite honest there is an awful lot of rubbish posted in them.

The first problem is the endless amounts of Best/Worst/Top 10/Favourite threads, which I can clearly see have all been done to death many times. They all inevitably end up in a nauseating avalanche of one-word, repetitive posts which offer nothing of value, and only serve to clog up the thread and make it impossible to have any genuine discussion.

Case in point: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/bitto...-series-103132
    As you can see, this thread quickly descends into a mess of one line posts repeating the same thing and adding absolutely nothing. Hard to read isn't it?

Here's another which happened to be on the first page of threads when I looked: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/bitto...rackers-171491
    This kind of thread is doomed from the start, and is a perfect example of why they should be banned completely. There was never a chance of any meaningful discussion, just countless posters chiming in with their own top 3. Really what is the point?

These rubbish posts can also be seen in other threads, like people saying "Good luck", or "Good offer", and contributing nothing useful. This is even more frustrating because it can ruin a good thread.

What I'd like to see happen is the mods cracking down on this type of behavior, as I think it is a big problem at the moment, and to get rid of it would be of huge benefit to the community.
    Good speech

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    knight76's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Because sadly, it does not encourage discussion on file sharing, etc. It only encourages more spam.

The post count is set at 10 right now, because when it was at 20, the noob spam around the forum was well, twice what it is now.
    But by that ratio if you make the post count required 0, then you eliminate newb spam. I think the trick is to make the invite section hard enough to attain that the newbs give up and move on to an easier target. Also, if newbs come on and all they do is spam, then mods should kick em fast.

Hell, make the post count 200 before you get into the invites section. No newb is going to join with the premise of spamming 200 posts just to get into that section. Well, few newbs anyhow.
    Last edited by knight76; 04-11-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Cos im an obsessed maniac

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast