View Poll Results: How much time do u think Torrent trackers will last?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 5 years

61 37.20%
  • 5-10 years

54 32.93%
  • 10-20 years

13 7.93%
  • more than 20 years

9 5.49%
  • it will last forever

27 16.46%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much time will torrent trackers last?

TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    I think bittorrent in it's present form will die, but I see evolution in the protocol.

If you think about it, the bittorrent protocol has already evolved somewhat with the introduction of DHT and the trackerless torrent.

The base protocol is sound, in that you share as much as possible amongst as many peers as possible, spreading the burden of the upload.

Building on the base protocol is what will take this clever system into the next decade. DHT is one thing, but imagine the power of searching, or being able to locate a specific hash, and allowing your client to do the rest.

One thing that will change, though, is the future of small trackers. As bittorrent evolves, so will trackers need to. If they don't, they will disappear.

As for something better coming along, an improvement maybe, but a replacement no way. Bittorrent is already an optimum sharing system, which cannot be easily improved upon within the confines of the existing architecture.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    ChotaZorro's Avatar Arsenal Fan BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TorrenTy View Post
    the idea behind file sharing will last forever for sure BUT the technique may vary .
    Exactly, I agree.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Like I said, new FileSharing protocols will come up in the next 5 years.I've sumbitet todays news for review at FST news section.When It's approved by moderatrs I'll link it here.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    BT Extraordinare
    Think about it. The internet is all about collaboration and communal sharing. In my opinion, BT represents exactly that...it's not going anywhere folks. People will get faster and faster connections, which will result in faster speeds for all users through BT. It will evolve in terms of efficiency (and/or name), but the general idea behind it won't die.
    Last edited by terracide38; 04-12-2007 at 12:23 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Pluto's Avatar Enforcer BT Rep: +4
    The bittorrent principals are here to stay. Its extremely efficent, and with fiber being deployed every where, we are heading for the golden age of p2p. I think trackers will evolve to removing ratios, and change the way they require you to contribute. I can easily see them doing freeleech permanently, but with required seeding times or until you hit 1.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Poster
    As some1 mention be4,the idea will stay for ever,but the ways may be different.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    forever!!

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Cheffy's Avatar Slut up ! BT Rep: +4
    I do think Bittorrent is at its peek now.
    So form there its usually just one way, and thats down, But i do still think we are going to be able to download form torrents in 6-7 years.
    But im almost certain that there is going to be some new way to share files by then.
    So File sharing will remain and but the way we do it may be abit different.

Edit:

Ohhh post 100 \o/

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    10 - 20 years for sure.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    I dont think any other form of p2p is near as close to doing what torrents doing.
    Maybe they will make torrents encrypted tracker side. Or Try making them trackerless which has been tried in the past. But either way I think future p2p methods will still revolve in some shape or form around the bittorrent protocols.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast