”Paint.NET is free image editing and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows. It supports layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.”
Paint.NET is a nifty (and free!) paint program I caught over at CrystalXP.net that has answered my need for a graphics editor. This program has been highly rated from reviews and has won various awards from C|Net, File Forum, Softpedia, Webuser and PC World. One of the great features of the program is its support for user created plugins that expand the programs functions by adding new effects, adjustments, and file types including *.PSD’s. Did I also mention it supports Windows Vista?
I'll try to keep on top of the releases and post the updates. The current version which was released on March 29th, 2007 (Sorry bit late) is v3.05, but by viewing the programs roadmap you can see that there are already plans for future releases including v3.20 and v4.00. Some changes include (please view source for more information):
Hope someone finds this useful. -hairbautt
- New: Pencil Sketch effect
- New: In Windows Vista, the new-style Save/Open dialogs are used. Among other things, this enables Search functionality.
- Improved: Some uses of confusing "MessageBox" style dialogs have been changed to a much friendlier "TaskDialog" style interface
- Removed: The "Clear History" button has been removed because it was not very useful
- Fixed: Sometimes the Colors window would get "lost" between sessions of Paint.NET
- Fixed: Stack-overflow crash when using certain effects, such as Gaussian Blur, on very large images with certain settings (such as a 200 pixel radius)
- Fixed: When cancelling the multi-image Unsaved Changes dialog, the input focus was sometimes confused
- Fixed: Very rare race condition in background thumbnail renderer
Change Log: Paint.NET Roadmap
Screenshot: Click here