Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP to be discontinued in early 2008

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Microsoft's plan to phase out OEM shipments of Windows XP, the predecessor to the new Windows Vista platform, is not sitting well with some observers, based on Internet-driven feedback.

According to a Microsoft Life-Cycle Policy Web page, Microsoft plans to discontinue shipments of Windows XP to OEMs on January 31, 2008. The page also said retail licenses will be discontinued at that time. Editions affected include the Professional, Tablet PC, Professional x64, Home, and Media Center editions of XP.

Chatters on Silicon Valley.com cited issues with the suitability of Vista on existing machines and said they might just go to Linux instead.

"If Microsoft forces us to make a choice of Vista or Linux, they might just be unpleasantly surprised as to the choice many of us will make," one chatter wrote. "I am telling anyone who has not yet upgraded from Win 9x to XP that they had better do it right away because Vista will never run on their Win 98-era machine. If they don't upgrade to XP right away, they will have to switch to Linux. The only alternative to that is to throw away their computer and buy a brand new one!"

Another chatter said it was "time for enterprises to stock up on shrink-wrapped copies of XP Pro."

A chatter on the Direct2Dell site expressed similar reservations.

"I don't care how much you've tested your systems with Vista, it simply will not be enough," the chatter said "In the corporate world, there are countless applications that are going to fail miserably with Vista in offices that are standardized on XP Pro."

Dell on Direct2Dell said it plans to continue offering XP for now. "Dell recognizes the needs of small business customers and understands that more time is needed to transition to a new operating system. The plan is to continue offering Windows XP on select Dimension and Inspiron systems until later this summer," the company said.

In a statement, Microsoft acknowledged its Vista emphasis.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/87681

After reading thought it was an April Fools joke as I thought it was good till 2014 ? The story date is Friday the 13 th tho .

With thanks to KLT .
    Last edited by peat moss; 04-14-2007 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    "I am telling anyone who has not yet upgraded from Win 9x to XP that they had better do it right away because Vista will never run on their Win 98-era machine. If they don't upgrade to XP right away, they will have to switch to Linux. The only alternative to that is to throw away their computer and buy a brand new one!"
    BS. p2p. Or buy the disc at a garage sale or something. Or ebay. Or stores that may still be carrying copies (I've seen win95 a few years ago, and wasnt that discontinued a really long time ago?). Or get it from a friend. Or burn a copy of a friend's.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Ross I thought it was a joke and spent more time searching this forum to see if it had already been posted than researching the flucking story it self .

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    I saw this and thought it was talking about XP support. I was still looking forward towards SP3, but its not so.../death evaded
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    SaveFerris's Avatar ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
    That's silly.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    What I'm getting from this is Microsoft isn't pleased with the low sales of Vista so they are forcing everybody to buy it by not making new copies of XP.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by killuminati96 View Post
    What I'm getting from this is Microsoft isn't pleased with the low sales of Vista so they are forcing everybody to buy it by not making new copies of XP.
    Exactly. They don't seem to want to admit that they could possibly create a product that flops. Who us???

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    donnied's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Does anyone know how this compares with previous Microsoft OS releases? Competitor's?

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    @VB , you mean a product that they can't secure or stop the prirate key's ?

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    @VB , you mean a product that they can't secure or stop the prirate key's ?
    Yes. At least that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast