Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony "breaks its own DVD player with New DRM"

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Sony "breaks its DVDs with DRM"
    Some outfits never learn

By Nick Farrell: Monday 16 April 2007, 07:04
    A BLOKE claims that Sony is back to its old tricks and has installed a new DRM system on its DVDs which do not work in some machines.
    Writing in a bog here, a geezer called Micky B recounts his adventurers trying to get some new disks to play on his Sony DVP-CX995V DVD player.

Several copies of two movies 'Stranger than Fiction' and 'The Holiday' loaded up to the splash title screen, stopped and then switched the machine off.

There were no problems with DVD’s or new releases from other movie companies, Mickey said.

He called Sony who admitted that the problem was being caused by its new copy protection making these discs unplayable in some players including our own. Sony says that it does not not intend to change the copy protection.

They told him he would have to have a firmware update to his player. Unfortunately this has not been released yet. In fact they do not know when it will be released.

Obviously he is a bit miffed about spending $350 on a Sony DVD player three months ago which cannot play Sony movies The player is still being flogged and makes no mention of this fact.

Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38938
    Last edited by Darth Sushi; 04-18-2007 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Title edit

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    popopot's Avatar To Me, To You BT Rep: +5
    Classic Sony genius at work again. Won't somebody put down this dying dog rather than let it kill itself. Its just getting embarrassing now.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Typical of Sony...

All the more reason to use good quality "back-ups" with no DRM or any other crap!

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    tetrakis's Avatar Nucleophile BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sushi View Post
    Sony "breaks its DVDs with DRM"
    Some outfits never learn

Obviously he is a bit miffed about spending $350 on a Sony DVD player three months ago which cannot play Sony movies The player is still being flogged and makes no mention of this fact.

Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38938

who would spend $350 on a dvd player anymore?

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    popopot's Avatar To Me, To You BT Rep: +5
    UPDATE: from http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6434584.html

'Sony is providing replacement discs to customers that have had problems. Customers can call Sony Pictures Home Entertainment customer service at 800.860.2878 for replacement discs.'

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by popopot View Post
    UPDATE: from http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6434584.html

'Sony is providing replacement discs to customers that have had problems. Customers can call Sony Pictures Home Entertainment customer service at 800.860.2878 for replacement discs.'
    I bet those ones don't have the copy protection.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    They told him he would have to have a firmware update to his player.
    I think my response to that would have been "How do you spell 'class action'?".

ARccOS is known to have compatibility problems with some models of Sony, Toshiba and Harman Kardon DVD players.
    That settles it for me, I won't be buying a Toshiba, Harman Kardon, or in particular a Sony DVD player.

Not that I was likely to do anyway.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    It's hilarious, when the low class, cheap end, consumer product out preforms the more expensive top of the line unit, the world is becoming topsy turvy.

I put Sony on my Sh@t list quite awhile ago, shortly after the rootkit fiasco. I had also noticed other family members Sony Dvd players refusing to play alot of stuff that was truely legit (cam footage of parties, weddings and outings put onto dvd). Since that time I have sworn not to give Sony a penny. That means I will not buy their cd and dvd media (even if its on sale) their PC dvd players or any products including TV's (who knows what they're putting in new tv's to stop you from recording programs from the tube). As far as I'm concerned Sony is the new whipping boy and I hope they get bought out by some company that cares more about customers than the Entertainment Industry.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Nice to see you are keeping up with the news.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Why are we so surprised tho ? I quit buying Sony years ago . Made in Japan .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast