Thread: Won't recognise harddrive????

enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    My computer recently shutdown and not fails to recognise the hard-drives. The hard-drive went about 2 months ago. i then fitted a new one and everthing seemed fine till last week.

The motherboard is a abit nf7-s.

I've tried to swap the IDE slots to the cd rom slots because they work, but it still won't recocognise any of my hardrives which run on the same cable.

I've fitted another new hard-drive but alas it doesn't show up in the bios.

The question i'm asking is my motherboard broken

Thanks in advanced

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Strange it who your new one wont show up in bios.... Usually its the other way around, shows up in bios but not in XP.....

Have you tired using disk management tool to initialise the disk?

Just a thought, or if that don't work perhaps testing the drive in another pc...if possible just so you can rule out a faulty drive... Or it could be the cable itself is goosed.

For disk managemet:

To initialize new disks
    Click Start > Run and type diskmgmt.msc

Right-click the disk you want to initialize, and then click Initialize Disk.
    In the Initialize Disk dialog box, select the disk(s) to initialize.
    On x86-based computers running Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1), Itanium-based computers, or x64-based computers, you can select whether to use the master boot record (MBR) or GUID partition table (GPT) partition style.

The disk is initialized as a basic disk.

Notes

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
    You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.
    New disks appear as Not Initialized. Before you can use a disk, you must first initialize it. If you start Disk Management after adding a disk, the Initialize Disk Wizard appears so you can initialize the disk.
    Thats all I could think of, in failing the above it could be worse case scenario that your mobo is possesed by the spirit of Satan himself who has deemed your hard drives fit to be purged of all that is good and clean in this world.

Good luck!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Check that all drives are jumpered as cable select.

If you've got a mixture of master/slave/cable select settings you can have all sorts of problems.

If there isn't a diagram on the drive you can find out the jumper settings from the makers web site.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I've unplugged to secondary drive so there's only one drive, but it still didn't recognise it. My board also supports SATA and that hard-drive went as well

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Sounds like a mobo problem then.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    It turned out to be the jumper settings. I had it set as master with only one hard-drive connected

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Ah, you didn't say it was a WD drive either.

It's strange, if they can detect whether there's another drive connected with the jumper set to Cable Select, why can't they do the same for Master like everyone else does.