Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bumper accidents...

DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    We all know the stress and torture traffic jams can inflict upon us. Anyway, I was in a highway traffic jam earlier today and saw another car bump another car in front of him. Maybe the driver was daydreaming, who knows. Weird thing was the driver who was bumped didnt get out to check if there was damage and just kept on driving but im pretty sure he felt the bump since it looked hard enough. In my 6 yrs of driving, the only accident i had was hit a tree while backing up (lol) so ive never been in that kind of situation.

My question is if someone bumped you like that, though probably not hard enough to cause a dent on your bumper but enough to maybe cause scratches, would u get out of your car and check it out knowing its gonna make the traffic jam even worse? Keep in mind that even if you do, the likelihood of cops coming is slim since ive heard they dont even bother checking it out if there are no physical injuries. Plus if you file an insurance claim, your premium will likely go up even if its not your fault.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    JordoR's Avatar Madden Champ!
    I would def get out... who cares if it makes the traffic jam worse. If someone hits me I'm gonna get out to see how bad it is. Even if its just a tiny scratch ill still take down at least the guys license plate just in case at one point in time I do decide to claim it. It would suck if you got home and realized the guy behind you that barely hit you ended up taking your whole bumper off somehow lol.
    Peter: Excuse me, is your refrigerator running?
    Because if it is, it probably runs like you - very homosexually.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    But i heard you cant file a claim if theres no police report right?

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Thats not the way it works in Canada at least.

Edit: I got in an accident I think a year ago it was there was no point in getting police involved but you file a claim anyways. All I did with the other driver was exchange all information: license plate, DL #, insurance numbers on papers etc..

5. Lounge   -   #5
    See thats the thing. If its just a minor scratch, I would rather have the guy who bump me just pay me something and settle it between us than file an insurance claim and have my premium go up.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by DefianceX View Post
    See thats the thing. If its just a minor scratch, I would rather have the guy who bump me just pay me something and settle it between us than file an insurance claim and have my premium go up.
    Well here in Canada, your premium will only go up if your at fault for the accident. So if in an accident thats not your fault all you have to pay is your deductible which is $300 by default. So yeah if he wants to pay for the repairs its in his favour so his premiums don't go up.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by JordoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DefianceX View Post
    Well here in Canada, your premium will only go up if your at fault for the accident. So if in an accident thats not your fault all you have to pay is your deductible which is $300 by default. So yeah if he wants to pay for the repairs its in his favour so his premiums don't go up.
    Exactly. Same here. If it's a "no fault" claim, it should not affect your renewal premium, or your no claims bonus. If it does, you should switch insurers

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Dry

What really bugs me is when people tailgate you in traffic while traveling at high speeds (+70mph). When I drive to school, I always make sure I keep a sensible amount of distance between me and the driver in front of me (isn't the rule: 'for every ten, that's one car length'?). Especially when going over an overpass (slopes up/slopes down) where you cannot see most of the drivers in front of you 'til you are at the peak.

I've come close to being hit in the rear because people across the overpass were braking and the people following behind them didn't realize it right away and had to quickly come to a halt or slow. This of course causes the people behind them to do the same. The guy directly behind me did good, but the guy behind him (a pickup truck w/ a trailer attached driving in the fast lane) pulled off to the emergency lane to stop and came up to my back seat. He did good as well, but wtf was he doing there in the first place.

I've never been in a car accident nor have I ever been pulled over. Been driving for a little over a year now. I believe in "filling the gaps" when on the interstate, but I do not drive recklessly as some do. I like to think I have more common sense than most drivers.

I heard from my history prof. a while ago that my local area is in the top 10 most dangerous places to drive in the U.S. I don't doubt it.
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 04-19-2007 at 02:55 PM. Reason: every ten = 1 car length?
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    I heard from my history prof. a while ago that my local area is in the top 10 most dangerous places to drive in the U.S. I don't doubt it.
    Neither do I, if people are driving to school at 70 mph

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    Neither do I, if people are driving to school at 70 mph
    Interstate/highway travel. 70 is the Speed Limit, but I'd say the average speed for the fast lane--that is the far left lane--is probably 80mph.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast