Thread: The Future Of Kazaa And Altnet

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Overall, this may be a positive indication ... IF content providers follow suit. The idea of advertising capital as a revenue source ... to help PAY for the music that people download ... has been around for a long time. It will be interesting to see if the "old guard" (the CD cartel) is willing to embrace this new idea. B)

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    interesting is this paragraph:
    The company is looking to a new patent license for one new revenue source. It has acquired rights to a 1999 patent that Bermeister says covers the technique of identifying files on peer-to-peer networks using a "hash," or digital fingerprint based on the contents of the file. The company will approach virtually all other peer-to-peer services to seek license rights, Bermeister said.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Oops. Double-post. See below.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Well, it IS possible that they might use the Bill Gates approach to competition -- "If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em."

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by Ardor@3 June 2003 - 12:45
    interesting is this paragraph:
    The company is looking to a new patent license for one new revenue source. It has acquired rights to a 1999 patent that Bermeister says covers the technique of identifying files on peer-to-peer networks using a "hash," or digital fingerprint based on the contents of the file. The company will approach virtually all other peer-to-peer services to seek license rights, Bermeister said.
    I thought the same upon reading, this could be big money for them.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    I cant see this working, first they need to get content that people want and most of the music and movie industry are still stuck on old distribution methods, that why they have the RIAA and MIAA, besides hiring others companys like mediaforce to do there dirty work.
    Plus i still cant see how there going to get over the issues of copy files for personal or sharing,
    Unless there getting together with all that TCPA crap, which this is starting to smell like.

also altnet's parent company is suffering money troubles

Even as Altnet launches its ambitious new service, parent Brilliant Digital is struggling on the edge of financial survival. In a federal securities document filed in late May, the company said it had "negative working capital of approximately $4,165" and that there were substantial doubts about its survival. However, the filing said Brilliant Digital expects another round of financing to boost operations soon.
    And it expects more financing, that sounds pretty dodgy to me.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Can anyone say altnet lite .

or a hacked point system, a thousand prizes showing up on your door step

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by junkyardking@4 June 2003 - 05:24
    Unless there getting together with all that TCPA crap, which this is starting to smell like.
    That SHIT spOOks me.

Anyway, it does sound a little silly, and KaZaa looks a little grim. Do you get stars on a chalkboard as well, though I give them credit for trying to redefine p2p, though they should have embraced Napster, A CENTRALIZED SYSTEM, when they had the opportunity. Again the point being made that this is the CARROT method sounds interesting, but we have already become FULL BLOWN JUNKIES, and it will take more than carrots.