Thread: Two networks in Windows

zehsay's Avatar trance lover BT Rep: +3

Question Mark

I have access to two different network (an Ethernet one and a Wifi one), each one with a different Internet connection.

Can I configure Windows to use both connections, so as to have better download and upload speed?

Thanks!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I don't know of any easy way.

Googling for load balancing software might find somthing.

Normally windows uses whichever connection last set the default gateway through DHCP.
    In theory software can choose which ip address to bind to, thereby choosing which connection to use but I dont' recall seeing any windows software with that option available to the user.

Perhaps you could find some proxy software with an option to bind to a specified interface/ip, have the other interface as default and set some software to use the localhost proxy.

A random thought is a batch file to alternate between the default gateways every second. I don't know if that would work or constantly drop connections.
    Assuming you have two different ISP's it would screw up connecting to the email servers of one ISP half the time. You would also probably need to use an open DNS resolver that accepts querys from either ISP.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks for the info

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Well, I got a partial solution.

In uTorrent, there are two advanced settings that allows you to use a network for uploading and another for downloading. Those options are:

net.bind_ip makes µTorrent use a specific LAN adapter for incoming connections only. Specify the IP address of the adapter here.

net.outgoing_ip makes µTorrent use a specific LAN adapter for all outgoing connections only. Specify the IP address of the adapter here.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    raspberry1331's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    is there a big difference using 2 instead of 1? i wouldn't think so.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry1331 View Post
    is there a big difference using 2 instead of 1? i wouldn't think so.
    For uploads and downloads, no. On DSL there is no contention.

However, it would allow you to select connection A for downloads in uTorrent, and use connection B for web browsing, etc.

That would be beneficial.