Thread: RAM opinion

mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Hey, I'd like to have an expert's opinion (or as close to an expert as I can Get) on how which brand of ram I should get.

I wan 2x2GB sticks of DDR2 800 to run in dual channel.

A good place to start

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skengeboy's Avatar k1337oris BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    Well, that totally depends on CPU, which CL times the cpu is okay with and so on. But when you've figured out that Crucial, Overclockerz (OCZ), Mushkin and G.Skill probably is the best alternatives.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I've had excellent results with Patriot.
    I assume you're running either Linux or Vista since XP can't see 4 GB of RAM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    can I curse? FUCK!
    I bought 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231087

They work fantastic. I haven't benchmarked my computer yet.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    RAM is like russian roulette...
    ok.. maybe it'snot.. but here's what i've learned..
    you can buy cheap brand and be in heaven... or you can buy cheap brand and have it fail repeatedly..
    same can happen with the more expensive brand names too..
    the best thing to do is to go to one of those independent geek owned stores.. and start talking to them about it.. make sure you use lots of words like RAM, GIGABYTE, DUAL CHANNEL, LIQUID COOLED, VISTA, etc.. that turns them on...
    then when you got them sweating from not being able to rub off their hard on.. you just say.. "whats the best ram i should get" and they'll tell you.. then you pretend you hear your mom callin and run home and find the best deal on the type they just told you...

glhf

WARNING: This method of selecting may take up to 23 hrs once the geek has been engaged in conversation about computers. Please attempt at your own risk.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie97 View Post
    RAM is like russian roulette...
    ok.. maybe it'snot.. but here's what i've learned..
    you can buy cheap brand and be in heaven... or you can buy cheap brand and have it fail repeatedly..
    same can happen with the more expensive brand names too..
    the best thing to do is to go to one of those independent geek owned stores.. and start talking to them about it.. make sure you use lots of words like RAM, GIGABYTE, DUAL CHANNEL, LIQUID COOLED, VISTA, etc.. that turns them on...
    then when you got them sweating from not being able to rub off their hard on.. you just say.. "whats the best ram i should get" and they'll tell you.. then you pretend you hear your mom callin and run home and find the best deal on the type they just told you...

glhf

WARNING: This method of selecting may take up to 23 hrs once the geek has been engaged in conversation about computers. Please attempt at your own risk.
    LMFAO. But you're right about it kinda being a tossup. However, some brands are more notorious for bad equipment than others. I just don't know which has the best chance of working properly.

@ clocker. Running XP right now, but getting ready to install vista again. RAM was my bottleneck. I also use AutoCAD and other GIS software for school, so the ream will really help. But you are wrong about XP not supporting it. XP does support 4GB of ram, but only #GB for apps and allocates the other 1GB to Kernel.

But I might just end up switching to xp x64 which is thought to be able to support 16 exabytes
    Last edited by mbucari1; 04-23-2007 at 03:45 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie97 View Post

glhf

Oh, real nice.
    I work in an independent "geek store" and I'm supposed to just hand you information so you can run home and and buy stuff cheaper online?

Next time try calling Newegg and pump them for info (or even better, rely on the moronic "customer reviews"- "The Egg roxors!") and quit wasting my time and effort.

If you don't support the small independents how long do you think they'll be around to continue providing hard won advice?

meh.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I ve built many custom pcs and we use "corsair xms 2"
    ddr2 800mhz 2x 1gb
    good 4 overclocking, latency and general performance

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    well, I made my purchase, and I'm quite happy with it. G-skill 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 5ms cas latency. and only $300.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Hello my opiniong goes to:

second choice, it what I did becaus I dont have the money for Nš1
    Teamgroup DDR2 PC2-6400 2GB Kit 4-4-4-10

first choice, if you have the money:
    CORSAIR 2GB PC2-1000 XM2 DOMINATOR SLI READY